Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Help me find a thieving, no good, dirty bastard from Australia...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

[​IMG]

Well I spotted him at the Ballarat Swap Meet and got all his details for Ryan. So to expand further this is how he has gone on and used the image from Ryan's Calendar on his trailer now. Plenty of stolen images for sale on his site.
    Cummins, So-Cal, Texaco, etc. I could go on. Many Hot Rod ones as well and some of those I realize are made by others that have been mentioned in this topic now that I have had a closer look.

If you take something and put your own spin on it that is OK. Make your own flames and do what you like but to copy and sell some thing that is not yours but claim it as yours is theft.

To many of you (us) of the HAMB is sacred and part of what traditional rodding is all about if we do not look after Ryan and his forum then then you may as well wave good bye to what it is all about as for many this is the home of where you find others doing the same thing we all love an enjoy.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I should add I have found and passed onto Ryan all the details for this fellow.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It will be interesting to hear if Ryan is able to do anything about this clown.

loudbang and tfeverfred like this.
  5. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Ryan may have already acted as I did not see anything HAMB but that is not to say he did not have them hidden away.

6. CadMad

CadMad

7. I walked the whole thing today and didn't see him, was hoping somebody got his detalis.

Sent from my CPH1607 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOTFR8,

You should contact some of the other companies that this guy has ripped off. Some of those larger companies will have lawyers on staff whose job is specifically to pursue situations like this. As has been previously discussed in this thread bigger companies (e.g. Ford) are hardcore about copyright infringement and they have the resources to pursue a situation like this to the end - the end of the perpetrator.

Just a thought.

kiwijeff, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I get you, Clik; I have considerable sympathy for your position. People do have trouble with counterfactual thinking and therefore do not see how it is possible to subject things like laws to critical analysis. Hence exchanges like,
    "The law is x but it shouldn't be."
    "You're wrong: the law definitely is x."
    In this the "... but it shouldn't be" bit simply makes no sense to the second speaker. We can start digging into this but the philosophy gets quite involved when questions hinge on whether the propositional nature of cultural contents like laws is or isn't universal.

In context, though: how do any of us, having finite power, operate in a polity in which the praxis in force is dominated by intellectual property? It's a weird place we're in: freedom of expression is unprecedented while freedom to do anything practical is daily eroded. We're getting to a point where we may say, describe, represent, communicate anything but make nothing which is not, essentially, some kind of communication. I can draw a lot of cars (or buildings for that matter) I'm prohibited from building, even if I had the money. I can no longer monetize the latter, so unless I can monetize the former I'll starve. So it could be that we're ready to embrace intellectual property because it's all we've got left.

But that raises the question: what would the importance of IP be if building actual stuff were not only legal but – barring intrinsic difficulties – really easy?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. 5window

5window

I'm going to need another cup of coffee before I try to read that again.

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I was raised on counterfactual thinking. My Dad said if I had six more I'd make a good half-wit.:D

12. Or a drink.o_O

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A while back 3wLarry ( RIP buddy) said it best. "Ryan, Neds off his meds again". :D:D

14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

The world needs people that think like Ned.....I am just glad I am not one of them. I could never sleep....

15. CadMad

CadMad

Ok here is my take. Ok so the guy is using images he shouldn’t. Rather than send a cruise missile over here and obliterate his home his family and his immediate neighbors, perhaps just get him on board to start paying a commission, a royalty, a fee. He’s really only spreading the Gospel. (Some 10 year old kid probably bought one and now has a sticker on his skateboard of a hot retro chick and one day that subliminal HAMB will register. )
    Who knows the sticker guy may have lost his printing job when News Corp ( like happened to my family) or one of the big Corporate entities restructured all their workforce. Maybe he is trying to combine his hobby to pay for his daughter’ s braces and piano lessons and hockey fees.
    Come on, this ain’t some slimey politician bonking his secretary behind his families back or some kid blowing all his school mates away with a cannon.
    He’s probably opened Ryan’s eyes to what is a good market. Maybe Ryan should spank him and then thank him.
    Maybe my horror divorce has dragged on for 3 years and the thought of more litigation , when all I want to do is build hot rods and customs, makes me sick.

16. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I knew what I was looking for given I was the one that spotted the poor quality stickers the first time. I can see why you may have missed him.

I am not going to contact any other company. This fellow will get found out by them eventually as the standard of the work is simply not the same as the genuine item in many cases.

I doubt Ryan wants poor quality work promoting the HAMB. There is more to the story here than a few of us have posted and his business workings in the past have been very shifty. I agree no one is out to 'Cruise Missile' him but no one likes poor quality work or copies that are not approved. As for the Gospel I doubt he knows what that is or cares about any promotion but his own.

loudbang, Stogy and lurker mick like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

loudbang likes this.
  18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Great......

loudbang likes this.
  19. loudbang likes this.
  20. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Get Dr. Blake on his case;)

5window likes this.
  21. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

Same here, just seeing "IMG"text for the new photo.
    ...I've been watching this thread because copyright infringement and IP theft bothers me immensely. It also blows my mind how some people seem to be unable to grasp the concept.
    Hoping this guy gets shut down, but the worst he'll probably get, even from the big dogs, is a cease and desist order.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I am sure Ryan never gave permission for the artwork to be used on that trailer.

Any one that can not see the image can look here >
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/001.561253/

23. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

24. Clik

Clik

Finally, someone that understands critical thinking, whether they agree or disagree.

Ned Ludd and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll keep watching for updates to see what can be done about this guy.
    I think the other companies that he is ripping off should also be contacted, some of the bigger ones are undoubtedly strong with their legal departments.
    Sic em Ryan and Jeff too :D :cool:

26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That trailer's fucked up. But it'd be a shame to destroy such fine artwork.

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have seen better Photoshop skills done by Helen Keller......I really hate thieves.

kiwijeff, 6inarow, patmanta and 4 others like this.
  28. 5window

5window

"I'm going to need another cup of coffee before I try to read that again."

OK. I had another cup of coffee. Beyond the use of 23.1 Rand words ($2 to us in the USA) and a clear attempt at obfuscation ( :) ), Ned misses the whole point: You can copy someone's idea or work, what you cannot (according to current western laws) do is profit by it. At some point, world law, not universal laws, but the laws recognized by world governments, will catch up to the concept of 3-D printing technology. But until then, if you were perhaps say, an architect, you probably wouldn't mind me copying a design you had created for use in my own home, but you probably wouldn't want me to start manufacturing and selling the design for my profit. I believe the points of this part of the whole discussion are 1-someone is copying and selling for their profit designs that Ryan and Jeff have produced and legally protected and 2- by producing inferior copies and presenting them as originals, he is reducing the value of the originals. At the end of the day, who wants that?

29. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

You knew her? Awesome! Bet she was always glad to see ya. ;)

kiwijeff, Chrisbcritter and loudbang like this.
  30. toml24

toml24

A number of years ago I produced some quality silk screen T-shirts with the original 1959 Ascot Park Gardena logo that was a drawing of a driver wearing an vintage Italian Victory Helmet and the Ascot name. Through my research I learned the logo was not Trademarked or Copyrighted, or used by anyone for profit for at least 5-years. I was 100% in the clear to produce and sell the T-shirts. I took the process one step further. I contacted the Agajanian family, who does have some Ascot items Trademark and Copyrighted, but not specifically this logo. As a courtesy we reached an agreement for me to pay a very small token fee to the Agajanian family and I produced the T-shirts. It was a win-win situation. The back story is a few months later the logo was Trademarked and Copyrighted----by the Agajanians. LOL. For about a fee of $275.00 at the Trademark office I could have OWNED FOR LIFE the original Ascot Park Gardena logo. Missed it by that much!!!!!!!

5window, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.