Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Help me decide before my head explodes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kripfink, Apr 22, 2012.

?
  1. Stick them harvesters on there

89 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Leave it alone numb nuts

80 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. leave'm alone numb nuts :D

2. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Actually the "Binder" mirror looks a lot like a mid '50s Ford car unit. I say try it. If the visibility is better its worth doing. After all with a LHD in an RHD world you need all the advantage you can get. Your wife is a brave lady.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  3. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

Put on the Binders, but take off the others first -There is no need to look like the scooter from the Who"s Quadrphenia

4. They look rubbish - to help remove the temptation to put them on you should send them to me. Even better, keep the mirrors and I will take the truck.....

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Swap! Reasons: They adjust basically same way as stockers, so people will think STOCK...then their heads will explode when they see that you somehow added little wings on a potmetal part. Tellum you used the secret welding rod sold at the county fair...
    Also, the wings are not conspicuaous enough to clash with anything, but do subtly agree wth the scalloping.

6. robber

robber

I'm feelin' the need for change here... I'll bet if you put the binders on, they'll look better than you ever imagined and when you find out how much better you can keep track of whats behind you, you'll be so glad that you changed them that you will never look back :rolleyes:

7. Black Primer

Black Primer

I''ve got a set just like those, never knew what they were from. They are cool and would compliment the shape of your spotlights.

Maybe someone could photo-shop them on there for you.

8. What he said!

9. MissPrint

MissPrint

Ditto. ;)

Are you sure you're not just looking for something to do?

Maybe it is time for another project? Hmmmmmm? ;)

10. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I really love the looks of that Ford panel ! :cool:
    You should be drug behind your own truck if you stick those harvester mirrors on that Ford ! :eek: I like the other mirrors but NOT on that Ford panel you have ! :mad:
    BUT it really comes down to what you want ! It's your Ford Panel so do what you like and enjoy it ! That's really all that matters anyway , right ?
    Retro Jim

11. Willy301

Willy301

You kinda answered your own question. But the design of the IH mirrors will add to the overall truck, and help visability....Win-win situation. The others look like they need to be on a tuners car...

12. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I like the IH mirrors. Very space age, and to be frank, your panel looks like 'the milk truck to mars'

I say gopher it.

13. In my completely unprofessional opinion, I would definitely put the IH ones on. Although, as previously stated, anything would look cool on that truck

14. i voted for leave it alone the ih mirriors look too balky for your panel (almost robotical ) can you change the mirrior head on your current mirrior's ? just for better vision

15. Squablow

Squablow

Hard to see the ones that are on there now. The IH ones look like a cooler design from what I can tell, personally I'd probably run those.

It's a neat detail that's not so overpowering to spoil the look of the truck either way you go.

16. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i have a question, what are those center caps off of? they look great

17. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

The mirrors that you have on the truck now have the more rounded lines like your truck. Personally, I think the IH mirrors are too angular in their design and would contrast the rounded style of the truck, and just look out of place. Almost as if they were an afterthought and just stuck on there because they were cool looking mirrors, not because they look cool on the truck. Just my $0.02!

18. jfrolka

jfrolka

hahaha he is right

19. if they were mine they'd be on the truck already...........

20. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

21. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

which ever ones work better ......................I like the first pic..........

22. autobilly

autobilly

Come in Buck Rogers.;)
    [​IMG]

23. nutajunka

nutajunka

I knew a toothless guy once and he said, "Don't puck it up!"

24. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Spent five minutes looking at the van.

I think it would compliment the side pipes and the scallops.

Go for it:D

25. flathead okie

flathead okie

DO IT... I think they would look great.

26. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

so truthfully, krip, you are one of the guy's that 'get it' the style of the era and even more your are a krip,... i agree it's a choice but i'm torn too

27. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Ih ones, they look like the have more character. You picked them up for a reason, you need to see them on

28. cay you do a dummy fit with those others on a take a snap of it? hard to say. I think those new ones look great, tho maybe a little too fussy for your ride. the stock ones look the best I think.

29. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the input fellas I'm still processing it all. Fact of the matter is this decision is turning out to be trickier than I expected. I agree that the best way to go is with stock mirrors, but for those of you unfamiliar with the stock setup, they are mounted to the door hinge through a slot in the door just about 2 inches too low to be of any use on the panel version, and anyways, I'm a Kustom guy so the slots got filled. I have been searching for what seems like for ever for the right mirrors for this truck and I thought I had finally found them with what's on their already, as they are small and inconspicuous and allow at least some level of visibility. But I'm kind of reminded of the old story of what Phil Everly told Buddy Holly during a conversation where he was complaining about his then thin wire-rimmed as inconspicuous as possible glasses, which was something along the lines of "well Buddy, if you have to wear glasses you might as well make a point of it!" The thing is not only do the binders have much closer styling to the stock mirrors, they also have many more planes of movement than what I have on them now. When I originally posted this thread I did not have the new mirrors in my possession, but they have now finally arrived. I now have the added problem that whilst the chrome on the mirror arms and bases is in real good shape the heads have a couple of small dents and scratches in them. The decision is made even harder by virtue of the fact that I'm not going to put them on their and unless I can get them looking perfect, and unless they will mount in the same position as the current mirrors so I don't end up with any visible holes in the door. However, I do have a cunning plan involving some more gold metal flake and re-glazed mirror heads. The results on here have shown me I should at least take it as far as a mockup. Oh yeah, perhaps I should confess that although these are very cool looking and comparatively rare aftermarket Yankee mirrors, the fact that they were designed to go on a glorified Jeep (International Scout 80) does give me a little bit of a problem too.
    I know, I'm a flip-flopping retard, but I just can't help it. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll have some before and after mockup shots that I can post to give you guys a better idea of what we're dealing with here.
    Paul

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  30. Looking forward to the mock-up pictures.