Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Help me decide before my head explodes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kripfink, Apr 22, 2012.

?
  1. Stick them harvesters on there

89 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Leave it alone numb nuts

80 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey there folks, need your help with a dilemma. I recently picked up this set of cool international harvester door mirrors. The question is, very simply, do you think they would look better on the kart than what I'm using currently (European that allow fairly good visibility and quite an elegant look) or should I just leave as it is. Visibility has always been a problem, and it looks like the harvesters will improve that slightly as they are taller and more visible, and I like the "rocket" styling. The European ones are very understated and I'm not sure they quite fit the American Kustom theme as well as the harvesters would. Obviously, the harvesters would be placed in such a way that they would cover any holes left by the old ones, so they would have to sit pretty much where the European ones do now. The trouble is I really don't dislike the ones I have now, but I do like the space age look. Help and indecisive bumbling fool out wouldya………

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And please, there's a definite choice here so no "it's your car etc etc etc……" Replies. Also "it would look better without mirrors" is not an option here. I already know it would, but my wife would have crashed it by now.
    many thanks in advance.
    Paul
    Paul

EDIT;UPDATE ON PAGE 4!!!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  2. badshifter

badshifter

What you have "flows" better. The others would look better on a 60's more square car.

3. Put'em on, they look cool. Hey, if you don't like'em, you can always put back on the old ones.
    Your Ford is friggin' cool...its got the bullet/rocket theme going (center caps, mounted front pillar lights, headlights, scallops, etc.) and you already see that or you would never bought those International Harvester mirrors.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Quit while you are ahead. Those would look good on a different style of car, the ones you have fit the look of yours better.

Don

5. both good, both fit the look, but change is good.

6. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Those I.H. mirrors just FIT your truck. The base shape is very much like your paint graphics. The ones that are on it are okay, but a bit utilitarian.

7. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

do it! put the binders on it!

8. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

Man, I just don't know. Take one of the old ones off and have someone hold the new one on from inside. That way you don't create any new holes before you decide you dont like them.
    I do dig the style of the harvester mirrors though.

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

Six of one ,.. Half a dozen of the other....:confused:

I hope this helps:D

10. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

they both look cool,have one of the guys photoshop them

11. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

the new ones will complement the grill and caps.are there adjustments on the spears ? do it

12. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Id like to see the IH ones mounted up high like peep mirrors and lose the ones on it now

13. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

There is a screw that allows you to adjust the outward/upward angle of the mirror arms.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The IH stuff looks great. Besides, NOBODY makes a Peep style mirror in any form that's worth an actual shit as a functional rear view mirror (that I've seen yet). Gary

15. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Anyone else? Still undecided.:(

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

i dig those a lot more than what is on your rig, being the traditional nazi i am, the ones on your rig look too modern street rod-ish...

my advice, double sided tape them on and then ask us

17. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I had those mirrors on my '63 Scout, pretty cool piece. I always thought they were from another car, because no way was IHC ever that cool. Then I took them off one day to paint the doors, i'll be damn, they have the IH logo cast into them. Nice pieces for sure

18. Gator

Gator

I usually say less is more, BUT that's a BIG truck, and those mirrors are tit's and fit in with the overall vibe of the truck.

I'd go for it - stick 'em on there!

19. Paul,
    I really like the rocket looking mirrors but the Kart is rounded off and I don't think it would lend itself well to the space age styling of the other mirrors.

Have you considered "West Coast Mirrors" ? They have good visibility for sure. :D:D

Why6 don't you do this, get the missus or one of the kids to pop one of the mirrors off and hold the rocket mirror up there then get back and give it a look see.

Here is another thought I had a swan mirror on the Pusher, I know you don't have any in your hand but I'll bet you could find a pair pretty easy and they would look perfect on the old beasty. This is just to muddy up the waters mind you. ;)

20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Definite switch.....and as always...damn Daddy, I love that truck !! :D
    Good luck, and when your Wife tells you how much better she can see you will know you made the right decision !!
    Cheers Man...

21. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Yep look like nice mirrors but as badshifter said i think a little too square and angled, defo more 60's car looking.

Can you not use just one screw hole, tape your paint up, get it just about in place to get a rough idea.

Paul the Kart is so kool anyway, even if the mirrors were horrible, you still wouldn't notice;)

Dan:cool:

22. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I really like the mirrors on the kart but that being said, it's such a well done rig I don't think the binder mirrors would detract from its coolness. In the name of driveability temporarily mount one and if the visibility is better use them.

23. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Just to satisfy the curiosity of an ignorant Englishman, why do some of you call the harvesters "binders"?

24. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Looks like the leave it alone is catching up!

Why are old International Harvester trucks called corn binders?

It actually goes all the way back to when Cyrus McCormick invented the first successful reaper. In Chicago in the late 1800's McCormick improved on his equipment to bind twine, which was commonly used in corn fields. It was one of their most successful pieces of agricultural equipment and formed the basis of the early International Harvester Company in 1902.

The trucks came along shortly thereafter in 1907 with the "Auto Wagon". Light line International Trucks were always primarily targeted to and sold to farmers - this link with their agricultural equipment and use in the field (often for actually binding corn), earned them their nickname "cornbinders" or "binders".

25. Liking the IHC mirrors. Sometimes it's a good thing to switch things out, just to keep that freshness/excitement alive and forefront.

26. I like'em , give'em a shot , you can always yank them off if you don't like the look..

27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Stay with what you've got...the others belong on a long hooded fifties car...

R-

28. Harvester=tractor.
    They made hay bailers and combines as well as trucks. They were or are primarily a farm tractor manufacturer.

29. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Hey buddy, I personally like what you have on there.

30. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I wouldnt even notice the change. If it really helps visability, go ahead. I certianly have no issue with them.