Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help me align my 54 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Legs, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Hey everyone I need some advice on alignment numbers for my 54 Ford with air ride

I’m pre-aligning the car before the first intial test drive and I’m not 100% sure what numbers to shoot for as in “caster and camber” hopefully you can help me out.

FYI this car has manual steering & brakes, and won’t have much of a turning radius due to its ride height is about 4” from the ground and can’t turn sharp due to tire rub

A local hot rodder that has done lots of alignment on older cars told me to put the car at
    CAMBER +1.5 degrees
    CASTER +2
    Toe In 1/8”

What do you think?

2. According to the '54 Manual

The caster should be a maximum of 1 degrees and 0 minimum.

The camber should be maximum 1 1/4 degrees and a minimum of 1/4 degrees.

Toe in 1/16 to 1/8.

You didn't ask but the king pin inclination should be a maximum of 7 degrees and a minimum of 6 degrees. HRP

3. George/Maine

George/Maine

I would guess the wheel are in toward the top.
    If you put even amount of shims both places should bring wheel out.
    Try 1/4 first shot see what it does.
    I use a small level get wheel on ground and level wheel up and down.
    Then do toe in.

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

When you have it aligned be sure to have it at cruising ride height,most alignment shops today are so computer ruled they do not take into account any variables so keep a close eye on tire wear to adjust accordingly if needed.

5. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

HRP, I'm assuming that caster max is positive 1 and min is negative 0 right? Same story with camber, max +1-1/4 degrees and min/negative 1/4 degrees?

Thanks guys