Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help!Making custom exterior trim

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tbauer, Feb 1, 2014.

1. tbauer

tbauer

Help ! I'm trying to bend this brass to match a fender I made
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391295012.441724.jpg

I made a form to match the fender lip ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391295091.597870.jpg

I heated the brass with a torch from the back side. And slowly pushed pulled and clamped ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391295185.192451.jpg

I thought it was going well then I turned it over an noticed the brass Channel kinked ever inch and a half or so. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391295328.050956.jpg
    So the question is does anyone have some advice either to avoid the kinks or fix the kinks now that they are there ! Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

My initial thought is to use a shrinker/ stretcher to form the curve but on my phone it's hard to see what the stock your starting with is shaped like.

With what you have now I would maybe try using a shrinking hammer to get the tucks out of the metal.

I would also do a search for restoring stainless trim, I found a huge one the other day that was talking about getting the kinks out and fixing old stuff without ruining it. Might have some ideas that would overlap and apply to you situation

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just thinking out loud throwing ideas out there but maybe you could find the brass in a tube or boxed shape instead of just the channel.

Then you could cap one end, pack it full of sand, cap the other end, bend it to shape and then split it length wise to make both sides at the same time.

I know people bend round tube like that often, the sand doesn't give the metal anywhere to poke into and I'm sure it effects how the pressure is distributed while bending

4. tbauer

tbauer

Thanks for the suggestions the material is a c channel like a lot of "factory" cars.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391301476.921142.jpg

About 1/2 inch wide

Attached Files:

5. It's been a while since I did it but a long time ago I did brass handrails for some vegas hotels. Seems that we used to anneal the brass before bending it - if I remember correctly.

6. kaboo

kaboo

From the pictures it's hard to tell which direction you are forming the channel. If you are trying to form it along its width I don't believe it is going to work. You would need tooling capable of applying pressure to the front and back sides of the channel that would not allow the material to wrinkle. Tim has the right idea to get the wrinkles out once they are there but your not going to get a Shrinker into that channel. If you did it would change the radius as you worked the wrinkles out. As Tim mentioned, sand is an option when bending tubing you have to get it packed really tight to work. A better option for bending tubing is a product called Cerro Bend. It melts at 158 degrees. The tube is filled while the material is in a liquid state. Once it hardens, which only takes a few minutes, you can form the tube as needed. Once you are done just heat the tube up, you can even put it in a pot of hot water and the Cerro Bend just pours out. It will solidify again and you can use it over and over.

7. tbauer

tbauer

After annealing the brass with a torch it became bendable so I slowly worked around the fender adding body clips As i went ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392378904.354247.jpg
    The brass rod were my long enough so I had to braise pieces together ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392379064.978194.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392379080.313640.jpg
    I did all four fenders ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392379146.220875.jpg