Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Help locating rear end on 1949 - 1952 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamcoupe, Jun 10, 2011.

1. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

I'm building a 49 Fleetline with a bare frame, no front or rear suspension. I do not have any way of measuring the wheel base of 115". I'm wondering if the rear bump stops are the center of the rear end.

Thanks Jeff

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. Yeah, pretty much.

You can also use the center of the wheel well opening since that's what will look best. That may throw off the total distance between the front and rear, so find the center of the front too (if that's the look you want) and make sure both sides are the same. Use like holes in the frame on either side to measure from so that you know the centerlines are square.

Bryan

3. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Thanks Bryan but I'm trying to locate the center before putting the body on. Thats why I'm trying to find out if the bump stops are directly centered over the rear end.

4. George/Maine

George/Maine

I changed a rear end in 52 chevy with a 56 chevy rear end and centered the wheel,They were not centered when new.Off about 2" in a 2 dr hardtop.

5. aaggie

aaggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are holes in the frame above the centerline of the front suspension. Find them and measure the wheelbase towards the rear.

Be aware on the torque tube Chevies that the centering bolt in the leaf spring is not the center of the spring. The way they mounted the spring perch on the axle allowed it to pivot. If you use that bolt to mount an open rear end it will not center the wheel in the fender opening.