Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP in Michigan, looking for my Dads car....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 333 Half Evil, Nov 28, 2009.

1. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I am trying to locate my dads old D/Gas drag car. His name is John Larsen. Sr. I have finally gotten some pictures from back in the day, and would like to see if anyone knows anything about it. It was raced mostly at M37 Dragway(closed) in Brohman Mi, but did get run at Central Michigan Dragway(currently Mid Michigan Motorplex) and Manistee County Dragway(currently Northen Michigan Dragway). I posted questions and pics on Byrons Gasser Madness site as well as waterwinterwondeland.com in the above mentioned dragstrip pages. I'm going to try here as well.

The car was sold in 1972 as near as we can figure. It is believed that it was sold with the trailer that was painted to match the car. The car was painted 1965 GM code P, Evening Orchid/ Iris Mist metallic and trimmed around the top edges of the roof and bottom edges of the body with 1965 GM Code N, Madeira Maroon/ Burgandy. The windows were tinted a wine color. It was powered by a 327, offy dual quad intake, 4spd, had long ladder bars under it(not on when pics were taken), chevy van straight axle. The rear wheels were black steelies and the fronts were single rib Raders we believe.

EDIT: "Car may have been sold without trailer, as the trailer was owned by a guy who did not have the car. When he bought the trailer, the guy he bought it from had bought it to haul a stock car and did not know of my dads 55. The back wheels were 8" corvette ralleys."

The front end was steel, but had been bolted together and turned into a tilt front end. There was no hood scoop at the time my dad sold it. It did have a huge STP decal on the trunk lid, not visable in the pic as it was added after, that was about 3 -3 1/2 feet across covering most of the rear deck lid. The car was stripped of most of the inner structure to reduce weight. It did have a roll bar and only one seat when he sold it as well. It did not have a front or rear bumper, but did have nerf/push bars on the rear. We believe the car went to someone in the Big Rapids, Paris Michigan area. We were living in Brohman when my dad sold it.

EDIT: "Today while talking with my dad, mom, and sister we came to the conclusion that we were living in White Cloud, on Catalpa Street, when the car was sold. Not sure where the person/people were from that bought it."

I would love to find this car and try to buy it back. I am also interested in any pictures if someone here happens to have taken some of a 55 chevy like this one at the above dragstrips or if they had owned the car and have pics. If I cannot find his car, then I am hoping to get enough detail from the pics to build a replica of it. I want to do this for my dad before his health gets too bad. He still has the trophies and some time slips from back then and if I get the car back or build a copy I would love to get a picture of my dad with the car and the trophies, and maybe get him to drive the car if he would/could. I know this is a long post, but it really is an important one to me. Sorry about the pics, they are scans of polaroids from 1970.

Thanks in advance for any help or info that any HAMB'ers can provide for me. Sincerely Al Larsen, a.k.a. 333 Half Evil.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  2. Cool story Al.......best of luck with the hunt for your Dad's 55 drag car.

3. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Thanks Elvis.... Are there any HAMB'ers on here around the Big Rapids/Paris/Reed City area? What about Brohman? :(

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

BTTT....after spending time at dads place for Christmas, I added a couple edits to the post as we have narrowed down the year it sold and that we were living in White Cloud. Any HAMB'ers go to M37 Dragway in Brohman Michigan from the years of 1971 through it closing in 1975? Do you know of someone who did? I've had absolutely no luck finding any info on this car.....any info, leads, etc would be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas, Al.