Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help in Identifying A/FX wheel widths

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CENTURION, May 31, 2009.

1. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Hello:

Attached is a 60's vintage pic of a stunning 65 Falcon A/FX. Notice the tires are obviously different widths however it "Appears" the Cragars are actually the same size and backspace on all four corners! Of concern is the following:

Where there a few 60's AWB cars that ran wider wheels than 4 inch skinnys on the front end?

Did American Racing ever offer a 15 Diameter 5 INCH wide wheel? In all these years I have only seen a 15 Diameter by 4 then skips 5 and goes to 6 inch and beyond wide.

Could a modern Cheater Pie Crust 10 inch wide cheater slick be run safely on the street mounted on a 7 inch wide rim?

In theory front end mounted wider rims and tires combo will corner better and handle heavier unsprung weight on the street than the 4 inch wide skinny yes?

Please provide an educated guess on the wheel rim size and tire size of the attched falcon A/FX pic.

Please input. Thank you again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

PM Guffey, he will know the answer to this. he has owned more afx cars than anyone

3. Cshabang

Cshabang

I run 4 inch wide front tires on my Comet with no ill effects..you're not building a corner carver. In the rear I believe it was 10 inch tire..I'd have to look it up and all my fathers material is not near me right now...A 7 inch wheel on a 10 inch tire is about the narrowest I've seen though...

4. brandon

brandon

figure back in that time , cragar was probably doing a lot of custom offset wheels...7 or 8 was probably pretty wide for those cars....unless it was chrismans comet....:D