Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help ID'ing a Diff under a Shoebox Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by El Skitzo, Feb 9, 2015.

1. El Skitzo

El Skitzo

Hey guys

I'm hoping someone can help ID the diff under the back of my '50 Shoebox Ford.

The previous owner implied this was not the original diff for the car and was from a later model car to offset the fact the electric overdrive was no longer working. I cannot find any markings or numbers on it at a quick glance.

Reason I ask is I need to replace the left hand axle seal which is leaking, and want to hopefully have the correct replacement on hand for when the axle comes out.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mark T

Mark T

Looks original to me, maybe the previous owner swapped out the center section for a different gear ratio.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I tend to agree with Mark T's assessment. It is possible the whole thing has been replaced, but Ford rear ends were pretty much the same from '49 thru '56. Exception being, Station Wagons used a Dana axle assembly, but this is not a Dana, just the standard OEM axle assy.

Ray

4. I agree with the other guys,it looks stock. HRP

5. El Skitzo

El Skitzo

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I'll hit Shoebox Chris up for a 49-51 axle seal