Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help identifying car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by One Bad Pig, Feb 18, 2020.

1. One Bad Pig

One Bad Pig

A while ago I picked up a 1937 Willys sedan converted to a pickup by a farmer. It was not done well (you can see the back of the cab is not even welded on straight) and the whole thing is pretty rough, but I had to rescue it from the field it was in. Anyway, I am trying to figure out what was used to make the back of the cab. I have no clue what it is and I can't seem to figure it out. If anyone knows it would be great. 20180528_135757.jpg 20180526_140814.jpg 20180526_141315.jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

The back of a non-Ford early thirties four-door sedan with a quarter window that tapers to the top.

3. squirrel

squirrel

A view like this, full frame in your camera, is probably what's needed to help id the cab back.

Like he said, find an early-mid 30s sedan that has this exact same contour, and you'll solve your mystery.
    cab.jpg

4. One Bad Pig

One Bad Pig

Thanks for the replies, and I can see that it is part of a sedan. What I am trying to figure out though is what sedan it is. I know the pictures are not the best, but it is at a friend's place right now and these are the best pictures I have. Any one have any suggestions?

5. Slopok

Slopok

Find something else cause that certainly doesn't look like it fits very well!:eek:

Stu D Baker likes this.
  6. rudestude

rudestude

pitman likes this.
  7. Similar, but I think it has an extra raised area on the reveal on the car in question. Plus the fact that the rear window has a reveal around it makes it not a Studebaker.

8. scotts52

scotts52

Sure looks Studebaker to me. @rudestude
    Those pictures you posted even have the same reveal around the back window. I think what might be messing with people is that the condition of the one the OP posted looks more rough.

31Dodger and rudestude like this.
  9. rudestude

rudestude

1930 Studebaker President...mmmm
    Believe it depends on the angle that its veiwed from.
    I'm no expert ...just going by what my eyes are telling me...and I admit they aren't perfect. 15821766338244577785055567179920.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hollywood-East and 31Dodger like this.
  10. Whatever model Stude that is works.

11. rudestude

rudestude

31Dodger and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I'd go with 30-31 Studebaker.

Is that enough info, to be able to tell good stories about the truck?

kidcampbell71 and rudestude like this.
  13. rudestude

rudestude

Really...I spent a bit of time researching in my books and online to come up with that stuff.....lol...so whats up with the truck?
    A crusty tale of this old truck....coming soon?

bantam likes this.
  14. One Bad Pig

One Bad Pig

Thanks rudestude! That sure looks like it. I have just been googling different makes and years and looking at pictures, but there are a lot of possibilities and I hadn't tried looking at Studes yet.
    I really want to build a gasser, but this thing is in pretty rough shape and I don't know if I have the skills to do a proper conversion.
    With that in mind I will probably just slam it and leave the Studebaker part. My only concern is that this would make it look too much like a rat rod to have a build thread on here. My goal is not for a rat, so the truck's story will probably be shared.

15. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You could always do a hot hauler/push truck style build up if you wanted to keep the rural ingenuity intact on that "cab" you got there. Turning what you have back into a sedan without or even WITH a parts car is a huge undertaking. From what I see there, that truck conversion would be the parts car to fix an intact coupe or sedan.

I think if you keep it simple and just get the body straight and clean enough to where you can have fun with it you're going in a good direction.

16. rudestude

rudestude

It's yours now and it's not going in for scrap...so all is good.
    Have a good time doing what ever you decide to do...even if it ends up being used as a flower planter in the yard its yours to enjoy.

patmanta likes this.