Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Identify this "Unknown Dash"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustahaulic, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Our project this last day has been fitting the door tops and custom exhaust and a new "old" dash in the 28 A coupe...we have no idea what this dash came from:confused:...
    but it fit in the 28 A coupe with almost no modifacation, so we brazed it in with brass...
    [​IMG]

2. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

3. why would you braze anything????

4. That's going to be a "painus in the anus" to do the wiring on that dashboard with it brazed into place like that.

Sometimes it's hard to get paint to stick to brazed joints, depending on what alloy of brass or bronze you use. The paint just blister up and flakes right off of the brazed areas for no apparent reason. Some sort of chemistry problem.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Cool, thats what we thought..GM at least...it has "stovebolts" in it afterall...thanks Masdaslam..

Now to address the questions of why I chose to braze this in.
    This is not a problem for two reasons...
    1. IT'S MY CAR!
    2. I am not planning to paint this car and I simply like the way brazing looks.

However you are incorrect about not being able to paint over brass though... it's completely possible to paint over it should I or someone else decide to (and make it stick and stay), all you must be sure to do is remove all the flux and it's byproducts (clear looking crusties) when grinding it and any paint products will stick to it fine...
    I have several cars running around (in paint) as well as my uncle who did the brazing on this car and has done this type of work for years...
    This was also a very popular way of repairing steel back in the 50's and 60's...
    As far as the wiring is concerned...The 4 guages will not take as much time to wire, as it did to answer these questions...
    whip~lash

himmelberg likes this.