Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP!!! Identify this motor...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE1ANDONLY, Jan 29, 2010.

1. THE1ANDONLY

THE1ANDONLY
    from Norco, CA

I need help identifying this motor, its in a 1933 ford pick up, it does not look like it is the original engine, i am trying to decide whether to keep the engine and rebuild it or sell the complete engine and trans. If i decide to keep it i would like to know where to get parts to rebuid it, maybe performance parts, or if someone can tell me what it's worth....some of the pics are pretty bad but see what you guys can do.....thanks

Attached Files:

2. Looks like your common garden varity Model B or C Ford.

3. I say Model A also.

4. 067chevy

067chevy

Yep. I agree

5. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

No fuel pump, 4 bolt waterpump and has oil drain back tube. Model A

6. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

There was are made with Fords that are made after 32 thats have 4 bangers
    Her in sweden call we them B-ford with 4 cyl. and V8 ford with them with V8

7. But the "B motor" has fuel pump on the block.

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Model A 28-31.

9. THE1ANDONLY

THE1ANDONLY
    from Norco, CA

Any suggestions on what i should do to this motor? I am building a 1933 ford pick up, i wanna hot rod it with a big block and just not sure if i should just put this on an engine stand and rebuild it slowly or just part it out, sell it out right or what

10. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out the Banger group they may have guidance for you. Be different there are speed parts out there for the bangers.

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Those little 4 bangers are beginning to get quite the following these days, there's a monthly banger thread here on the HAMB for all the guys who like those mills. I dig them, too, but I don't have one yet.

The bangers are neat in the nostalgic, "simpler times" kind of way. I'd keep it because its a cool mill and fun to tinker with, then again, I already have a fast car. If you're looking for a hot rod, a V8 is the way to go...

12. its an a motor
    if you were going to hot rod it you would need alot of $$$ to make it fast(relative terms) think.....$6,500 for about 90 hp
    but then you have a 90 hp banger and that is way cooler than any big block anything
    tk

13. von Dyck

von Dyck

Model 'A'. No mounting boss for fuel pump. Oil return line from side cover to crankcase. Four bolt water pump. Small diameter oil filler tube. !931 Zenith carburetor.

14. That is definitely the wrong engine for a '33 pickup. The engine looks like a 1928-1931. There should be a serial number stamped into a boss on the left side of the engine. I bet it starts with star A followed by a number. You would be wasting money to rebuild it for use in the pickup. If you want to stay 4 cylinder (which I think is a good idea) start with the correct 4 cylinder engine. Your pictures bring up another question. It looks like a stock Model A water pump. I thought this pump would be too long for a '33. Are you sure your truck is not a '32? One final thought, the carburetor appears to be a late '31 side bowl carburetor. These are scarce and expensive. Be sure to find out what it is worth before you sell it.

Charlie Stephens

15. I'd hang on to it just for the sake of having one, wish I hadn't sold mine.
    I want to build a lil' tractor with it now or a riding lawn mower lol

16. THE1ANDONLY

THE1ANDONLY
    from Norco, CA

I have the original pink slip from 1933 that says it's a 33, but i will find the vin plate and check the #'s to verify, the truck is originally from south dakota and was used as a coal hauler so i have now idea what is original and not original

17. Before you spend too much time looking for the VIN plate I feel I should tell you there isn't one. The Fords in that time were registered by the serial number that was stamped into the top of the driver's side frame rail near the steering/cowl. It should be star, B (or AB), 5XXXXXX (where X is a number), star. Post what you find (less the last couple of digits). I wonder if it is a late '32 that was sold in '33?

Charlie Stephens

18. If the cab has a welded-in firewall with a bulge into the engine compartment [more foot room] then it's a 33 cab. If it has a flat bolt-in firewall the cab is a 32...also, if there is a bead just behind the visor all the way across the top, it's a 33...32 cabs were smooth with no bead.

19. Truck is rapidly closing in on 80 years old. For all you know it's had 10 different engines in it by now, they just put in what was on hand and in good shape most likely.

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Keep it.

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It is a 28-31 Model A engine NOT a B (32-34).
    It has a late 31 fuel filter bowl attached to the carburetor.

The round gizmo just above the head on the 33 firewall is the engine vibration stabilizer, an oddity used on 32-34 4 cylinder vehicles so it was a 4 cylinder vehicle to begin with.

22. Ice man

Ice man

Some one probbly blew the B Motor and just put in a A as a replacement, using all the B bolt ons. The oil pipe going down the side of the bloc is a dead give away. Bs did not have that, but had a fuel pump mounting near number 2 cyl. Iceman

23. THE1ANDONLY

THE1ANDONLY
    from Norco, CA

Thanks to Tad (Petritl), he was able to run the #'s on the block, the manufacture date on the engine is June 1931, so it is a Model A. And yes it does have some Model B parts on the engine like the distributor.....so thanks a million to all you guys for all your help. Now its time to figure out what year my cab is. I'm still trying to find the #'s. I'll post pics soon