Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help Identify this modified!! Muroc 1938

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bugsy, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

[​IMG]
    This picture is from William Carroll's book, "When The Hot Rods Ran". It says that it was the number 10 car that day (May 15, 1938) running out at Muroc. The driver is a guy named Tom Dowlen and I figured out that the car was running a Winfield head. I'm looking for any more info and pics of this car. Looks to be a T bodied modified with 16 inch wires and a banger motor. What grille shell is that? a '32?? and the gas tank on the back looks square to me...any thoughts as to what it is? I love the looks of this modified and have never seen one from that era with a hood and '32 grille (if that's what I'm seeing). Any more info or thoughts at all would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Cool pic! The cowl does look "T". Can't make out much on that radiator/grille; lots of those little modifieds used hand fabbed noses that somewhat resemble that shape.

IIRC, Jack Calori had a modified with a '32 grille in 38 or 39;
    [​IMG]

Fuel tanks...I think some used early 20's Cadillac tanks; they were already set up for hand pressure pumps. Early to mid 30's Chevrolets also used rectangular tanks.

3. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Gary,
    I forgot about the Calori modified.....the tank on it has that squarish look too and like you said, some of the Chevy tanks of that era were shaped like that. I've always been curious about this modified ever since I got the book. I would kill to see a clear pic of it. It sure has cool lines from what you can see though.

kidcampbell71 and sko_ford like this.
  4. Dan MacPherson

Dan MacPherson

that's an awesome book. There is a modified labeled as "George Hayden" (#73) on page 52 and the car looks like a duplicate of the Campea/Oka modified. Sorry more questions than answers.

5. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

This is a good reminder that I bought that book over a year ago and I still need to read it! My stack of books to read has been piling up since I got this damned handheld computer that I spend all day staring at...

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Have you looked to see if it in the Pre WWII Lakes movie? Most of those cars have been identified.

Bob

7. Dan MacPherson

Dan MacPherson

quote: "Have you looked to see if it in the Pre WWII Lakes movie? Most of those cars have been identified"
    geez no I haven't Bob but I would sure like to. Can you supply a link?
    Dan