Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help identify old Tach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by droplord49, Jul 10, 2015.

1. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Can someone identify this old tach? It doesn't have any markings on it except the inspection stamp. Also, can anyone tell me if it can be hooked up as is or if it needs a control box. I'm hoping to run it in my 53 Belair with a 235. Thanks in advance image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

looks like a Packard 56 series wiring connectors, so I'm going to hazard a guess that it's off some type of 1965 GM car.

next step might be to use google images to look at the interiors of various 1965 GM cars.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Had one like that in my 66 396 Chevelle there's peice missing that covered the screws. People called them Knee Knockers.

4. Looks like something out of a Grand prix of that era and even if you could hook it up or did how would to convert it to 6 cylinders?

5. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

@porknbeaner That's what I'm trying to figure out. What it is and if it's possible to use it on my 6(I'm a newby when it comes to tachs). I never considered it being a factory unit, I just assumed it was an old aftermarket piece. Looks like she's gonna have to go back on the shelf until I get around to my Olds 303 powered T coupe project. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

6. Mokicruz nailed it! ;)

Some more info about them from a post on Steve's Nova Site. The second pick is from Google Images and shows the Chevrolet sticker.

"Heres a couple shots of an original. It belongs to member blue66deucex2. The bow tie emblem in not on it. The knee knockers were a dealer option for any chevy vehicle at the time, so chevelles, impalas, novas, and c10s could of had them. I dont know if there was a difference in red lines. I think these were also sold through mail order catalogs also like Montgomery wards and stuff but with a different sticker emblem. Ive never held a aftermarket one, but i held that one and "studied" it. I was told "once you see an original the aftermarket tachs can be spotted a mile away."

1436558926729.jpg 1436559311788.jpg
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!