Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Identify aluminum backing plates/drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hobbyjp, Dec 4, 2011.

1. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

I picked up these aluminum backing plates and finned drums they looked cool they were cheap and I was hoping they would work on my model axle, I think I can make the drums work with a modified hub not to sure about the backing plates though

drums are 9 1/2 inch inside diameter and the backing plates are 11 outside diameter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. squirrel

squirrel

don't know what the backing plates are off of, do they fit the drums? or are they too big? the drums might be late 70s GM midsize car, they had aluminum drums 4.75" bolt circle, I think 9.5" diameter. but the backing plates looked nothing like those.

3. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

No I the drums and backs dont go together, I might have picked up the backing plates in the VW area, The guy said he thought the drums might be from a Nova.

4. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

If their Nova, would adapting the backing plates to the ford axle be about the same as you have to do with other backing plates where you drill the propper holes.

5. squirrel

squirrel

i looked it up, the drums are the ones I thought, late 70s midsize GM. I got a pair off a 79 monte carlo years ago.

do the backing plates fit the drums? the inner lip of the drum should fit into the indent in the backing plate, if they're the right size. My guess is the backing plates are for a larger size brake.

6. von birch

von birch

are the backing plates aluminum? they look like 70's ford 9 inch, which would be steel i believe

7. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

No the two do not mate up they come close though, the arm in the backing plate that swings the brake pad out, its only a few fourths an inch away from the inside of the drum. I dont think the two could be used together but they sure would look sweet if they did. I'm only gonna be able to use one of them on my axle, if one will even fit after alot of modification and adapter

8. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

the backing plates are aluminum

9. squirrel

squirrel

Not that I doubt you...but I don't believe it. Are you sure they're not chrome plated steel?

10. Ramblur

Ramblur

Drums look like the ones off my 86 Buick GN, 8.5"corporate 10 bolt.

11. oj

oj

The backing plate looks like it has a dana 60 style pattern to it.

12. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

i would'nt think aluminum backing plates would hold up very long

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Backing plates look to have a Mopar 8 3/4" five bolt pattern to them. I can't think of anything else that uses five bolts off the top of my head. Not the right diameter though.

14. Here's a chart.

15. squirrel

squirrel

Five holes were used on some Fords too, and probably some other things like Danas installed in other makes of cars. the bottom hole is a drain for anything that leaks past the seal, so it won't contaminate the brakes.

16. exactly what I was thinking except mine were on a 86 T/Type ..lol

17. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Some kind of import I'll bet. I see 2 star wheel adjusted slots on them.

18. von birch

von birch

could be dana. im still thinkin ford...but definitely steel....even looks like rust on one in the one picture

19. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Just an update for Von, the backing plates are steel. tested it with a magnet! they looked like polished aluminum.