Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help identify 1935 Dodge race car

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Marchak55, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Marchak55

Marchak55

So I saw this really cool 1935 dodge baguette they’re saying it’s all original unrestored i’m trying to figure out has anybody ever seen the Cowl section and hood section like the one in the picture it’s very unique and different from other dodges of the era. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

All original unrestored? I don't believe it. Looks too perfectly patinaed to be untouched for 86 years. And what racecar gets driven without ever getting upgraded or crunched?

Sure it's cool, but doublecheck the story before you fall for it.

X38 and tractorguy like this.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

1935? More like 1925..

4. Marchak55

Marchak55

I agree I’m going off what the site that sold it stated. I’m just looking for ideas for my build I loved the lines on the hood and cowl very unique

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. noboD

noboD

I love the style, but I don't see any DB bodywork. The wheels appear to be '29 DA. I have one with them on it. Are the brakes hydraulic? Engine four or six. Need more pictures or written description. Even the gas tank does not look DB.

6. Marchak55

Marchak55

This is the site that sold the car
    http://www.mecanicimport.com/cars/details/dodge-baquet

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks like it was built in South America, there are skilled craftsmen that can make neat looking cars like this from very little. NICE, but I don't think you can find any history to go with it. Bob

8. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, totally new fab. If it was built in the 30's, why does the frame side have rust pits on the top edge where the passenger body rocker would sit? Sounds like a good story though. Hope the buyer knew what he was getting.

Since it's all new, it shows that anyone with some talent can build one just like it.

9. dwollam

dwollam

Seriously cool looking though! Looks like a DA engine too isn't it Doug?

Dave

10. SS327

SS327

Did anyone notice the steering column is on the wrong side?

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

12. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Nice, I’d drive that. Original , don’t think so. The DODGE wording on the right (correct steering) side appears to be in the putting on the rail. Some pitting scale has paint over it. Fuel tank and some other bits look too “steam punk” for later twenties, seats generally upholstered not bomber style.......... But I do like it.

Attached Files:

The37Kid likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the additional photos, nicely done, someone made a fun fantasy vehicle out of leftovers, no HAMB members lost money on it. Whoever built it did their homework, it has a great look. If the chassis has been shortened, the splice is well hidden.

Bob

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  14. Marchak55

Marchak55

I think who ever built it did a great job. Really gave me ideas where I want my speedster to go

15. Budget36

Budget36

That engine is pre-31 if it is a Dodge, at least here in the States. My 32 L6 (same as a 31) head looks like a 40/50’s L6 head.

But is pretty cool looking!

16. noboD

noboD

Dave, it sure does look like a '29-'30 DA engine, steering wheel too. It has the right amount of crud on everything to be cool like it was built a long time ago, but like others I doubt it. They even used the right font for the lettering. I am in love. But a DA is a 45 mph car, certainly not race material. I wonder how fast this would go. Thanks Marchak for digging this up.

17. j hansen

j hansen

WTF.......my Dodge -35 did not look like this??
    Random pic from the Interweb.... Skärmavbild 2021-04-06 kl. 13.53.59.png

18. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Quote from add: "Fully original and never restored. Great original looking car."
    They were sneaky about it, but I think they could say, "Well, it is in the original condition from when it was built." That second sentence is really telling, "Great original looking car." Not, "Great original car."
    Regardless, it's a cool car. Who doesn't like bison fur on their seats?;)

tractorguy likes this.
  19. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever it is, I’d drive the wheels off it.

ChopperWerkz likes this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Well, what I think we need to remember is that overseas, (and even in the US) many things that ceased production here, continued on in other places.
    That said, Alchemy brings up some good points, as did others.
    Heck, I the remnants of a late 40’s Ford chassis (pilot) that has wide 5 hubs and mechanical brakes on the ass end.

21. oldolds

oldolds

That car is a work of art! It is modern, but was built by an artist. I can't imagine the amount of work that went into that car to give nearly every part that even patina look.

22. Marchak55

Marchak55

Everyone thanks for the great input really starts helping me look for parts for my build.

23. noboD

noboD

I have a '29 DA engine, trans, rearend, wood wheels that came from a running car that could be bought. If you can copy the body of this beauty you will be my hero.