Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP ID this Old Standard Oil Cabinet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mark boltjes, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Need help ID ing this old cabinet - I think it was mounted on the back of a delivery truck in the 1920s to 1930s ????? Its 50" wide 33" tall 18" deep

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. Ah hell I recognize it from a milk carton been missing for quite a while now. That is Jeff also known as slippery bill. :D

I cannot give you a time or a place but you are correct it would have been on the back side of a delivery tanker. They were still around with a setup like that well into the later '60s or earlier '70s. I worked a Kerr McGee station in the early to mid '70s and our fuel deliveries came in a truck with a cabinet on the back like that.

3. retromotors

retromotors

I can't help at all with any info, but it damn sure is COOL ...!!!!
    (But you already knew that, didn'tcha!):D

4. pumpman

pumpman

Great piece! Nice to see the old stuff that survived.

5. Any help would be appreciated !!!

6. Try this again !!

7. Neat piece. Who was the douchbag that gave this thread one star?

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

http://www.oldgas.com/ probably a better place to research this... the petrolina community should be able to get you sorted out pretty quick.

9. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Yes, it was mounted on the back of a tank truck or maybe even a horse drawn tank wagon.. The Solite Ethyl decal would date it's use in the 1926-1932 era.

Follow the link that zman posted (I used to be a mod and admin there). SuperAmaerica Man on oldgas might be able to give you more info.

10. squirrel

squirrel

red and green reflectors....isn't that a marine thing? Or maybe I just missed out on when they used them on trucks

11. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Those reflectors were probably added MUCH later. Standard Oil Company (Ind) sold Solite Ethyl in the '26-'32 era. Those reflectors appear to be from the '60's or later. These tank wagon boxes do turn up from time to time in the petroliana hobby.