Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help ID this Ford manual transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeepSouthRick, Feb 20, 2007.

1. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

This tranny was given to me for a rat rod project. Looks like a mid-'60s Ford, but I'm not a tranny guy.

Side-mount shift, numbers on the ID tag are: RUG A D 012965

I found these numbers on the case (best that I can make out):

68AB 1006 OW1

K17

I plan on using this behind an average 302. Three of the four mounting ears are broken off the case -- is it worth the trouble to find a machine shop that can repair it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Try David Kee at www.davidkeetoploaders.com/imposters. He has awealth of info although I could n't find your suffix letters in his list. Hopefully you have the 3 speed +O.D. in the 4 speed case.

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

looking at the site that dale just listed it looks like you have a 68 mustang tranny that was behind a 390. close ratio 4 spd.

RUG-AD 1968 Mustang 390 close 28-spline

4. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Thanks for the URL!

I did check the charts, and was able to find the ID tag prefix, RUG AD.

According to his info, the tranny was from a 1968 Mustang with a 390 engine, close-ratio tranny, 28-spline.

I'm printing his "imposter ID" page and taking it home this afternoon to double-check.

Either way, looks like the tranny is a keeper. Now I've got to find someone to repair the case.

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

3 of 4 broken mounting ears? You're much better off finding another case.

6. With all respect, not to hijack this post... Anyone know of an ID site for 40-50's Ford Tranny's??? I came across a couple of boxes that I wish to confirm ID..

7. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Yeah, I know... I'm always a mind to try and salvage/rebuild vintage parts, but I'm afraid I'll end up wasting money on this one.

I did speak with a "toploader guy" over the weekend, and he seemed confident it could be fixed -- said it was a common problem and that he'd had several repaired.

8. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

With the price of toploaders being what they are today, of course it is worth looking for someone that can fix those ears and see what it will cost. [I don't think it will be all that much, this is a pretty common required fix.] Then compare to the cost of a new case and make your choice on repair vs. new case. But, either way, since you were given this for free you should come out more than OK on cost.

CORRECTION: It is worthless...not worth fixing. I'll drive across the stateline tonight and pick it up up from you. I won't even charge a disposal fee.

9. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

At this point, I just want to be able bolt it up to a bell housing & engine so we can get the motor/trans mounts in the right place. I'll probably have to have the thing rebuilt, but that can wait until later (working on a tight budget here; too many car projects vying for the same slice of my disposable income pie). I like knowing the tranny will handle anything an average street engine will throw at it. I want the chassis and drivetrain to be rock solid.

Now, I couldn't put you to all that trouble... just wouldn't be neighborly!

10. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Thanks for all the help with IDing this tranny. I double-checked the tag numbers, case numbers, and tailhousing numbers, and it definitely is from a '68 Mustang w/390.

It should hold up to anything an average street 302 can give it.