Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help ID this crusty flathead dragster!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D_Lazaris, Nov 20, 2012.

1. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

We just picked up this homemade built frame last night, and was hoping somewhere in the Hamb universe someone has seen a pictures of this little digger back in the day!

Story is, that it used to run a flathead (possibly injected?) back in the late 50's in southern California. He used to run it at Lions, San Fernando, ect.... It then sat in his barn since 1962.

There is a lot of homemade stuff on the car, but the upper bars on the cage do look like Chassis Research which you could have bought separately. Because of this bend I have to image that the rail would be post 58' because before Chassis Research I haven't seen the bend before.

It has the usual narrowed banjo, and Ross steering box. The front end is pretty trick though, haven't seen one like it before (or have I not been looking hard enough!:rolleyes:) And it was chrome plated which surprises me, for a home built car a teenagers last thing on the list was to chrome it!

Now as for the body, we have no idea what style. But what I find interesting is there are no mounting brackets on the upper cage so I don't think there was any skin on it, But on the bottom rail I see two large brackets that maybe held a Sedan body? Fiat body? WHO KNOWS!

Unfortunetly the frame is in ROUGH shape, and I can see a few cracks, so I don't think we can get this one back to race ready condition (But maybe drive it down Eagle Field... :p)

If any one has any info that would be fantastic! I've seen the power of the Hamb before!

[​IMG]
    IMG_1588 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1582 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1581 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1580 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1579 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1578 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1583 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1584 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1585 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1586 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1587 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1589 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1590 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1591 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1592 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

2. brandon

brandon

Has it been sitting for a while, or has it been flipped recently? I bought some rear wheels from a guy that had one like this....out of socal area

3. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

I wouldnt worry about getting it in race condition....Cleaned up, painted and would make a great static display.

4. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I bought it from a guy that got it from the original owner, but he didn't have much info.

5. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I'm not to worried bout getting it in race condition. I already have a race ready digger ;)

6. Used to see stuff like that all the time at San Fernando in the early 60's. What good fun that was. Be shocked if I did not see it then. There were a lot of flaties and some bangers in chasis like that.

Tim

7. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

We are definitely putting a flatty back in.

8. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

That's what I've been doing all day! :)

9. Looks like it was gas welded? Might have it media blasted. It may be in better shape than you think. I like the front axle!

10. 296ardun

296ardun

For a moment I thought it might be mine, (see avatar), but I had one main rail...I raced in SoCal at around that time but don't remember it, really different front end, might be TE-440 roll bar parts, but heavily modified...really hope someone here recognizes it, glad you are going to restore it...it may be too rusty to run but still would be cool with some cleaning and a flathead!

11. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

It's really a neat car. I am used to owning production chassis, but this homemade rail has a lot of charm, even the steering wheel was custom made! The upper roll bars I am sure must be Te-440. I compared it to our other Te-440's and its a close match.

12. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

IF you keep draging home old dragster chassis's and I'll have to start calling you Dimitri GARLITS!!! :D Nice find Tim Jones

13. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I think I've reached my limit on front engine dragsters :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. Na don't think so D, always room for one more.......

15. Nocero

Nocero

Now that's a really cool find! I think I'd blast it and check thickness if it's repairable that would be awesome. If not I'd have to replicate the chassis and re use any usable parts

16. sololobo

sololobo

That is a way neat piece o history bro, man is that cool. I think some info will come up for you. Thanx for showin the awesome piece. ~sololobo~

17. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thanks everyone! Sure hope I can find some more info on it...

18. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I was able to get the car to roll and and got the steering box unfrozen! The more and more I look at it I would love to run the car again, especially at Eagle Field!

19. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I'm gonna have to start following you around! :D

20. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

For some reason they have been finding me this year!

21. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well Dimitri when I was still a drinking man, I used to say I was gonna stop for one:rolleyes:, that one turned to a few most of the time, I think your the same with old dragsters:D , not that this is a bad thing mind you:) Tim jones

22. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Well now I have the next foreseeable future locked down on what my projects are going to be!:p

23. kennkat

kennkat

To me that is a wonderful piece of American Hot Rod history that should be displayed... in your shop.... OR.. used to be an upholstery shop, as I recall, in the So Cal area in the late 60's early 70's that had a front engined dragster mounted on a sign pole.... was neat! I am currently considering building a similar type of "shop art" for my building....

24. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

The way I've always looked at it, and with our other rails, is that these cars were built for the pursuit of speed.

I can imagine some teenager in 1957 sitting in class and can't wait to join up with his car club and work on their new digger!

Now if this car ever sees a track again... Hmm would be great but who knows. But I would love to get the car back to its former glory with a roaring flatty.

25. kennkat

kennkat

Yes, PLEASE DO... I had the POOR judgement in about 1977 - 78 to have bought a little rail dragster from a guy by the name of "Moon" in Norwalk...
    It's nice, chrome tube axle was headed for a certain Deuce 5 window (that would be stolen before getting registered,!!!) and it's beautiful home-built frame rails and cage were cut up for who knows what??? The Nice, blue bodywork with a "1963 Bakersfield Fuel & Gas Championships" plaque on it became the "rolled aluminum" dash in a '64 chevelle straight axle car of the day... You see, a bad judgement call... I think even for the time...:(

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It looks a bit like the later TE-448 that I see in some Chassis Research literature. it has the lower flatter cage and the constant width rails that those chassis had. That's the type I still want to copy. Still could use some dimensions, but I'd love them to be off that frame!

27. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I bet you have...that's a cool find!!

I can't wait to see more!

28. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Not sure if its a TE-448, at first I thought it was but the bottom rail is only 2 inches, normally the chassis research cars have the larger 3-4 inch rails with the smaller rail on top. But who knows? It could be a heavily modified one.

29. dude that thats so sick!!!