Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help ID this axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harris, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Harris

Harris

Sorry for the crappy pics and the amount of questions, but I'm getting ready to start on my frame and am trying to "clean up" some of the stuff I've got lying around here - much to the wife's pleasure.

When I bought my project, it came with what I was told was the front axle and "juice" brakes from an early forties Ford truck.

Can anyone identify the axle?

Has anyone here ever used one on a Model A?

Depending on the year the spindles might be able to be updated with disk brakes, just don't know if they'll work with my stock front axle or if I should try and use this axle (planning on using a posies spring).

Should I bother cleaning up the drum brakes - I'm hoping they might actually be worth selling, but if not I'll probably just junk 'em.

Attached Files:

2. LowFat48

LowFat48

the dip in the center of the axle makes me think its mopar

3. LowFat48

LowFat48

ask squirrel...............

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

the pic of the axle is tiny but the rest appears to be 48-56 Ford truck

5. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

48-56 ford truck i got one out back im holding on to so i can do a half spring dual elliptical

6. Harris

Harris

thanks guys.... so I take it its not worth the trouble of cleaning up those drums huh?

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There are plenty of folks building 48-56 Ford pickups or using the brakes on something earlier.
    In other words, don't scrap the stuff, either use it or sell it to someone who wants to use it.

8. T-Roy

T-Roy

This was my 1st thought too... A larger pic would help.

-Troy

9. Harris

Harris

Forum wouldn't allow a larger pic, tomarrow I'll try to get some better pics up.

Don't worry, anything I can't use or sell to buy stuff I need will be offered up here well before it goes to scrap.

10. the brakes are f-100...`53 - `56

11. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Yes.... F-100 '53-'56

With these brakes in hand, Why would you consider Disc brakes for a Hot Rod ?

12. Harris

Harris

Thanks guys, at least now I have an idea as to what they're from.

To tell the truth I just don't have much experience rebuilding/using drums, but if all else fails I may need to reconsider using them... I know they work with the spindles/axle I have, just don't know about using that axle- never seen it done and don't really have any experience building chasis.