Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help ID headlights

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by zz29, Feb 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. zz29

zz29

Hi; trying to identify the headlights on this hot rod. I thought they were 1928 Fords, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe 34? Wanted to find a replacement chromed enclosure because this one is cracked. I thought I found one for a good price but now I'm not so sure. Also noticed the bottom where the bracket and bulb enter is quite open, maybe it's been modified. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. rusty valley

rusty valley

depress beam is a cm hall co. light, used on many brands, packard for sure, and i believe hudson, chrysler, and others i'm sure. google it up!

3. zz29

zz29

I found that, fairly generic reflector. Trying to figure out the chrome enclosure part, or is it called a shell?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

shell, yeah i call em a bucket, my guess is about a 30-31 something

5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

They kinda resemble my 2 ton Dodge Truck headlights. It's a 1936. I would need to measure to be sure.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. zz29

zz29

I’ll check those out. Thanks.

7. alchemy

alchemy

All I can tell you is they are not any year of Ford.

Stogy and zz29 like this.
  8. zz29

zz29

That helps a lot. I found a very similar light, that has the same cutout on the mounting area, but the seller doesn’t know the make. s-l1600.jpg

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

that is not a clue really, as almost all headlights of that era mounted in a pivot ball either male on the bucket, and a female socket on the mount, or vise versa. they pretty much all had a female socket for a light plug too. that "match" you show looks to be a later sealed beam universal type, like blc, guide, etc. i had packards a while back, cm hall lights, and the plug for the light socket was noticeably bigger than ford stuff. very hard to find also, no after market parts. do you plan to hide a sealed beam bulb inside?

zz29 likes this.
  10. zz29

zz29

No. Lights are already on the car and working. But one of the lights, the enclosure is cracked on a couple visible spots and I wanted to replace it. But it may not be worth the time and effort, the car itself is a bit on the rough side. I thought it’d be simple but after 2 hours of searching I’m realizing the lights from 1928-1934 from all the manufacturers were super similar. Thanks for the tips.

11. rusty valley

rusty valley

there is a web site that was a light only guy, or maybe lens, only, i forget, but it had a lot of pictures for id, lots of inventory to look for a match. have to search google some more for it

zz29 likes this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Donald Axelrod is the go to headlight guy.

302GMC, rusty valley and Stogy like this.