Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help ID a coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50flathead, Jan 16, 2015.

1. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Haven't posted here in a while but I think the HAMB can help me out with this one. Found this old picture in a box that my Mother left behind after she died. Family stories are a lot like recipes, if they aren't written down they vanish forever. The house belonged to my Dad's uncle, not sure how the fire was created but the garage was lost and obviously the coupe. The house was repaired and still stands on the property in Iowa today. As the story goes the owner chose to drive a coupe so he didn't have to bring his mother-in-law along on drives. Can anybody ID the burned out car in the foreground? How bout the car in the background? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

The coupe is probably a '34 Chevy. The car in background looks to be in the 40's.

PS: Are you up west of Clear Lake a bit? If so, I came up and bought a chunk of '39 frame from you a decade ago.

3. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I'm North of Clear Lake right now but have only been here a couple of years.

4. squirrel

squirrel

You might try to make a higher resolution scan of the photo, although it's iffy whether that will give us any more info.

I agree with the above ID of the cars, so far.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Looks like a 34/5 Chevy going by grill shell and headlamp brackets (Hole underneath is for wiring loom), front bar, wire wheels and shape of fenders. There would be 3 x horizontal pressing on each hood side curtain if 34/5 Chevy. 1935-Chevrolet-Standard-Coupe-right-front-view.jpeg