Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help ID 61-62 4 speed T-10 Transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ssaza25, Jan 20, 2018.

1. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

I am trying to ID this BW 4 speed, date code is 7-21-61. At first, it looks just like a early GM Chevy 4 speed but the input shaft where it slides into the bearing in the crank is larger in diameter and slightly longer in length than the normal GM 4 speed trans [see picture]. IMG_3054.JPG fullsizeoutput_e7f.jpeg The numbers on the main case is T 10 1B same as another T 10 I have. It does have several numbers stamped in the case---First letter looks like J? 181 2. Thanks in advance.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

Studebaker
    change the main drive to Gm

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

IF the Studebaker was a Chevrolet 283 engine, I would think the trans would be the same as a GM application T-10. Hard to see/compare in the photos. Maybe put a photo up with them input shaft to input shaft, front-to-front and overlapping. The only thing I see is the snub, that part that rides in the pilot bearing. Can it be shortened with a cut off wheel, and a modified (bore opened up) pilot bearing used. Or just sell it to Studebaker guy; has to be worth something to the right Studaholic. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. 54stude

54stude

If I remember correctly, you might just be able to grind 5/8” off the end of the shaft and use in in a Chevy. Might need a different pilot bearing?

5. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

I googled it and you hit a home run on this one very quickly. Thanks for the help.

6. 1961 Studebaker, for that year only, used that input shaft and a chevy housing bolt pattern just like your pic shows.
    After 61, they used the same trans and same AMC-looking input shaft, with a more square ford/AMC/mopar looking housing bolt pattern.
    If you have a 1961 Stude bellhousing that fits the trans in the picture, you can get a pretty penny for it from Stude people who want an easy way to put a chev trans on a Stude.
    They were scarce and much sought after many years ago.
    I used redrilled Oldsmobile scattershields on my stuff, so I sold every scarce 61 Stude 4 spd bellhousing I ran across.
    After blowing TWO clutch discs in my almost new 14,000 mile 68 Chevelle Malibu in 1970, one in my R1 Avanti powered Lark, and looking at a friends mess when he blew his pressure plate that wiped out his headers, bellhousing and hood in his 1967 Mustang, I decided to use scattershields in everything from then on.
    (never had anything blow up since I installed my first scattershield in early 1970s,, so nothing to report!)

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018