Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP!!!!!i think its the generater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poncho, Nov 18, 2003.

1. poncho

poncho

so..im driving home from work in my '62 pontiac thinkin how sweet tonight will be watchin' the canucks vs the canadians in old school jerseys..then i hear a "ting"sound like a fuse popin'..the lights on my dash go dim..the radio goes quiet..signals stopworkin' and the car begins to run with a miss..i manage to get it the the mother-in-laws..which i go past eveyday on my way home!!! get her in the driveway and it DIES!!is it that the generater stoped charging the battery
    i didnt find a fuse that had blown..was it a coincedence...was it running with a miss because it was losing power????all i know is i need to fix it a.s.a.p. as its my daily driver......lemme know...thanks,,,craig [​IMG]

2. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

Did ya check the fan belts?

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sound like a bad generator. Your battery must have been low and you were running totally off the battery voltage. Your engine will begin to miss without enough voltage. Test it.

4. shoebox72

shoebox72

Poncho, A quick is to charge the battery & start the car, raise the engine rpms and take the Negitive battery cable off. If the engine shuts off when you take the cable off the battery is'nt being charged.

To determine if the generator or regulator is at fault, Ground the FIELD terminal of the regulator with a jumper wire, start the car again & pull the cable off the battery again, If the car stalls the generator is at fault. If the car stays running the problem is the voltage regulator.

Remember to keep the engine speed above idle speed when removing the battery cable. Generators don't put out at idle. Don't do this on a car with an alternator.

Hope this helps. Billy

5. poncho

poncho

Im a paint and body kinda guy, so when it comes to this kinda stuff my eyes roll in the back of my head,and i begin to imagin the worst possible scenario.. [​IMG] thanks billy i'll try that..voltage regulater eh!!!hmmm.. [​IMG]

6. Rocket88

Rocket88

Just checked my parts stash, all my generators are 6 volt. :-(

7. hey how's it goin man !I 've got a generator from my 56 that it came with .when i bought it,it had been converted to a alternator and the guy gave me the original generator with the car,don't know if it's any good or not if you want it it's yours!I also have the original voltage regulator from the 56 too and like the generator i don't know if it's any good or not but it came with the car you can have that too if you want!my 56 is alternator with internal regulator so i don't need all this stuff,come an get it!

8. Machinos

Machinos

My guess would be voltage regulator too. When my charging system was dead (unbeknownst to me) and the battery was nearly empty, everything just got dimmer/slower, no "pop" or bad running. The car just kept getting slower and slower.

Although my voltage regulator was bad too, and all that did was keep it from charging. So I dunno...

9. poncho

poncho

thanks guys..BUICKNAILHEAD is going through the same problem too..and he suggested i replace my belt..so i did and DANG!!its fixed!!!!!thanks threedueces56 for hookin' me up with a generater and regulator!!! [​IMG] good call cadlights

10. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

Glad ya got it figured out. I learned a long time ago
    that belts can be the source of a lot of problems.
    And they are ussually the last thing we check instead of the first. Cruise on.

11. BUICKNAILHEAD

BUICKNAILHEAD

Glad to hear the problem is (for now) fixed Poncho! Keep a close eye on the belt for now. make sure it's rollin on clean pullies. And put a mark on the gen pulley bracket. see if the gen is creeping back. (not tight enough/stripped)
    Good on you bro. Love the new ride. Can't wait to go rolling, and hangin at the java. Now I am off to do some Xmas shopping......EEEESH!! Smells like snow out there people! Ahhhh crowded shopping centers!!! and idiots galore on the highway during this time of year....YAY ME!.... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]