Register now to get rid of these ads!

help I need the pattern for a flathead engine stand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BUICKS38, Dec 15, 2004.

1. BUICKS38

BUICKS38

I know i have seen them on here before. Do's anyone have the pattern? Thanks for any help. Jerry

2. BUICKS38

BUICKS38

I want to make the plate that go's to the exhaust bolt holes. Jerry

3. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave

A piece of 3/8" x 3" x 18" long flatstock.
    Clamp an exhaust manifold on the plate. Using a transfer punch, mark all the holes.

Drill the holes to 1/2" and carefully bolt the manifold back on the plate with the manifold center holes at right angles, (this will give you four holes at the center) drill and countersink slightly.

Depending on the type of the top of engine stand your going to use your mount on (mine is 2 & 3/8" outside diameter) you will need a piece of heavy wall tube. Cut the tube at a 45 deg angle. Tube should be around 10 - 13 " long.

Weld tube @90 deg (front to back) and 45 deg to the plate.

4. BUICKS38

BUICKS38

Thanks Dave. I did not have a manifold when i posted this. A guy up the road stoped by tonight and said he has one that we can use. He asked me to make one for him so i figured might as well make one for my self also. This guy is cool. He is 71 years old drives a 53 ford has 3 or 4 flatties in the garage and one in a 36 that we are hoping to pull out of the weeds before the snow gets here and put it in the garage for a winter project. Thanks again. Jerry

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You should check out the cool old vintage flathead stand on eBay, may be good for soem ideas.
    engine stand

6. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

I must be missing something, whats wrong with a regular engine stand?

7. Missing Link

Missing Link

[ QUOTE ]
    whats wrong with a regular engine stand?

[/ QUOTE ]

A regular engine stand bolts the motor to the stand via the bellhousing end of the engine. This can not occur with a flathead as too much stress is placed on the bolt holes and some motors have been known to crack, split, fall down go boom, etc. One of them there fancy stands bolt to the exhaust outlets and provides much more safe support. Of course I am a cheap bastard and just used a $12 harbor freight furniture dolley.

8. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

missing link--is that on all flatties? or just on the ones with integral bellhousings?

ive never had any trouble hanging my 8BA on a stand, it hung for a few months at one point

9. Missing Link

Missing Link

You are correct Briggs. The 59A style had the integral bellhousing and have a tendency to be overloaded if hung from that bolt pattern. I guess I should have specified that a bit better.