Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HELP: I have a flasher issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrPhat40, Jan 4, 2018.

1. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

H.A.M.B.ers I need some help so I am coming to the source.
    Helping a friend rewire his 1940 ford Coupe with a Ron Francis Bare Bonz kit. All has gone well until today. After wiring all of the lights (Tech-nostalgia front and rear) discovered that the included flashers for hazard and turn signals are incandescent light style. So I plugged in a couple of no load flashers he had and got the hazard lights to work fine but the turn signals while they do work, when the signal switch is returned to the center position, the flasher keeps clicking? Any suggestions, I tried telling him to live with it but that was a non starter. Thanks for your expertise.
    MrPhat40

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Slopok

Slopok

Does Ron Francis have a tech help line?

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Yes indeed they do.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. are the flashers two prong or three? Sounds like a constant ground is keeping the flasher up. Usually one side of a two prong flasher has + and the other side goes to the dir. sw. and is then connected to the bulbs, either left or right depending on position. So power flows to the flasher, then thru the switch and to the bulbs then to gnd. If you break the circuit and loose the grnd. the flasher restores. Not your case it looks like so I suspect a ground issue. Maybe the dir. switch possibly.???????

5. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

The flasher inputs are two prong. The flashers I used are two prong with a separate ground wire. Nothing happens if the ground goes unconnected. The four way hazard flasher works only when the ground wire is connected and it works as designed. It is only the turn signal flasher which continues to cycle when the t/s switch is returned to center position.

As to the quip about Ron Francis Tech, I will contact them tomorrow but my past experience has not been the best. That is why I reached out to the H.A.M.B. community.

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Swap the flasher relans? Maybe you have a bad one.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

7. lowrd

lowrd

I had the same issue on my ride and reversed the polarity on the terminals, solved the problem.

8. BJR

BJR

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember decades ago watching the Tonight Show and Johnny was saying how he was lying in bed one night admiring his physique in the mirror over his bed. Suddenly he realized that he didn't have a mirror over his bed and there was a naked man lying on his skylight.

This may not help with your wiring issue but Johnny had a flasher issue too and it does bump it back to the top.

razoo lew likes this.
  10. an uneducated guess..........you're using flashers that the system wasn't designed for.

11. .

This.....

12. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

BJR
    Your response as well as Bandit Billy's is why I love this community. Never hurts to laugh at a promblem helps clear the mind.
    Best reply so far. But I will take up the suggestion from lowrd and Crazy Steve and try reversing my polarity.
    Actually will keep my personal polarity and "reverse the flasher's poles"

Thank s to all respondents.
    MrPhat40