Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical help; how to remove headlight switch in 1948 F-1 Ford truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Apr 28, 2016.

1. atch

atch

The piece surrounding the switch knob is smooth. No slot or hex or anything to get 'hold of. Does anyone know the trick to removing this switch?

The pix in Dennis Carpenter, Mac, etc., doesn't show the piece that shows on the driver's side of the dash; only the switch itself. Those pix look like the piece that I can see screws into the switch, but darned if I can see how to turn it.

2. atch

atch

ALSO; Ill have to get the knob & shaft out of the switch in order to actually get the unit out of the dash. How do I get the shaft out of the switch?

3. Assuming you mean 1948? (not 1984, can't help you there)

Been a while since I pulled one, but there is a button on top of the switch body you press to release the knob/shaft. With that out, I think there is a slotted nut in the center of the bezel.

I will have to go look at mine...

4. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

It twist about 90 degrees if I remember right and pulls out, for the bezel I just used a washer and a pair of pliers to unscrew it, hope that helps

Attached Files:

5. atch

atch

Right you are. 1948. Sorry. Took me a while to figure out how to edit a title, though.

Space is so tight I can't feel or see the release button. I had assumed that this is how the shaft is released, but if it's there I just can't find it.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm pretty sure the F1 uses same switch as '41-48 Fords. Club has put bits of service manual online:

file:///C:/Users/blancast/Downloads/Ford_Light_Switch%20(3).pdf

Mac catalog shows the brass spring you push back via the slot with a pocket screwdriver.

upload_2016-4-29_10-24-15.jpeg

Notes...you may have to rotate the shaft with pliers, as knob can slip on the shaft. The bezel is a nut, and you can probably grip it adequately with something like needle nose vise grips padded with tape. upload_2016-4-29_10-24-15.jpeg

7. atch

atch

Bruce,

Thanx for taking the time to try to help me. I'm not able to find the file you suggested. It looks like that file is stored on someone's "C" drive.

The pic shown shows a nut with ridges or knurls around it. Mine is totally smooth around the edge.

I'm going to be back at it later this evening and I'll try to find the spring to push. Unfortunately, the slot to insert the screwdriver is on the top of the switch and there's just not much room up there. I can barely get a couple of fingers on top of the switch. Maybe I'll be able to finagle a screwdriver to make it work though.

Thanx again.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

9. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I'm sure there is a button on the switch cause I replaced mine. There is very little space to work, for sure, but the button is there. Don't remember if the knob needs to be rotated. I think the bezel is threaded, it was some time ago. The guys at the FTE site will know. I'd go out and look for ya, but it's raining here and the truck is under a cover. When it stops, I'll check it out for you.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Pretty sure button is later, into the 1950's somewhere.

11. verde742

verde742

:eek:it's there,
    disconnect battery, :oops: twist and turn and pull after you push release spring loaded button.

;)after you "get' it just pushes back in..
    You will hit yer head:) , when you git-it-out !!!:rolleyes:

12. atch

atch

Ok, folks; here is the conclusion:

After trying occasionally to get this off and spending (probably) 10-20 hours total on it over the course of several months I gave up/threw my hands up in the air. Last night I pulled the knob/shaft out as if turning on the lights and used bolt cutters to cut the shaft. Then I unscrewed the bezel.

Now I can install the "late model" GM switch that I bought at NAPA waaaaay back when.

Thanx for all those who tried to help me, but I guess I'm just beyond help.

13. Did you take the time to look at the original switch once you got it out, so you can learn how it was supposed to come apart?

verde742 likes this.
  14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

15. atch

atch

Sure did. That didn't help. I was trying all along to correctly take it out. Even out of the truck and in my hand the "release" wouldn't let go of the shaft when I pushed on it correctly. It looks like corrosion had welded (more or less) the catch and the shaft together.

I had even taken the gauge cluster out so I could push straight down on the release.

Thanx to all who tried to help me.

16. Ah, thanks for the answer. I was curious what the trouble was.

17. Texas Eli

Texas Eli

Oddly enough, I think the 1984 switch is similar!

Eli