Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! How to clean off adhesive residue from chrome?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbillyhellcat, Jan 19, 2004.

1. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Hey,

I have got a bunch of Ranchero bed trim thats perfect except is has gooey velcro residue all over it. How to I get this stuff off? Air craft stripper? Gasoline?
    Thanks

2. old beet

old beet

GOOF OFF..........OLDBEET

3. Kustm52

Kustm52

Water Displacement formula number 40

Brian

4. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

zippo lighter fluid, or the ronsenol equivalent... Goof off is great, but it takes your skin off too...

5. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

denatured alcohol, orange power plus, acetone

6. magnet

magnet

goo gone! it may take a while.. but it works for most kinds of adhesives.. besides.. you will love the citrus smell :)

7. badpat

badpat

if the water displacement formula # 40 doesn't work,
    try wd 40

8. The best stuff in my opinion is this stuff called AFTA Adhesive remover. It's in a white can with red letters and you can get it in the flooring department of Home Depot. I bought it to remove flooring adhesive and have used it to take sticky stuff off of just about every surface but fabric. It works much faster than goo gone and smells much worse, but totally kicks ass. I just used some yesterday to remove old dried tape residue from my fridge.

http://www.goof-off.com/NewProduct/Afta/afta_prod2.html

9. Fastsporty

Fastsporty

3M adhesive remover frikin rocks, takes anything off, plus its extremely flammable [​IMG] Get it at any pearl art supply.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]
    3M adhesive remover frikin rocks, takes anything off, plus its extremely flammable [​IMG] Get it at any pearl art supply.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with ya there. I keep this shit around, it's the bomb. Especially with removing 3M's very own Weather Strip Adhesive, you know the yellow gorilla snot stuff...

11. Goo-B-Gone (brand name). It works pretty good.
    That 3-M stuff already mentioned does rock, btw.
    But I've used goo-b-gone before it works pretty good and its cheap. I think you can find it at ACE (also a brand name [​IMG])

12. Most trim guys use mineral sprits. I always use Wax and Grease remover in the shop.We also have a Kent product called Speedy 500, That works real good on the two way tape left from stick on body side mouldings

13. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Brake cleaner on a rag.

14. BELLM

BELLM

3 M adhesive remover available auto parts store paint section. Good stuff.. Used to use it to remove sticky residue when remove stripe tape when used to do body work

15. Pigiron

Pigiron

Any real "tradionalist" would just use lacquar thinner. Works on everything. Just do not get it on your paint.

16. SKR8PN

SKR8PN

Pig....i was just scrolling down thru here and could NOT believe nobody else mentioned lacquar thinner!
    It's the shit.......

17. Fastsporty

Fastsporty

The problem I have with brake cleaner or laquer thinner is you may take the finish off stuff you may want to clean or surounding areas. thats why I recomend the 3M stuff. Other than that I use the 99 cent store brake cleaner all the time.

18. james

james

If you have a sign shop near by, take the parts and ask to use a little "Rapid Remover". Waaaaaay better than Goof off or any thing else.

19. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

I tried goo gone before and it doesn't phase this stuff. It has been on there for 20+ years. I'll try some of that stuff mentioned, thanks a million!

Eric

20. shoebox72

shoebox72

If all else fails, go to an auto detailing shop & ask them to sell you some wheel acid. USE RUBBER GLOVES. Pour or spray the acid on the part & lightly scrub with very fine(000)steel wool and rinse with plenty of water. This stuff really ROCKS for cleaning anything off chrome.

Billy

21. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

I second the "goof off " .Make sure after getting the unwanted stuff off your chrome that all the goof off product is cleaned off too .You can get it and just abou any hardware or home store .