Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help How do i remove valve seats from a flattie ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BUICKS38, Jun 14, 2005.

1. BUICKS38

BUICKS38

Looks like i might have a bad valve seat in my flattie. Has anyone out there removed one before? Any help will be great. Thanks guys. Jerry

2. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

You gotta drill holes in them, and break them in two,with a chisel.Sparky

3. BUICKS38

BUICKS38

Thanks jalopy, What about getting a new one in? is that any big deal?

4. SHRUM

SHRUM

dont they have a tool for that i think my dad bought one at speedway. yeah they got one 19.95make sure you puts some wd on them first

5. BUICKS38

BUICKS38

I think the tool you are talking about is to remove the valve guide

6. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Seats are hardened, not easy to drill. Old way was/is to use a very sharp chisel, one or two blows and they split, then you can pry out. DONT hit the machined area!

For installing with the engine in the vehicle you need to heat the block valve area SLOWLY and then tap in the new seat which has been in the freezer a few hours. Have a fire extinguisher handy if there is a lot of crud in the lifter chamber. If you dont have adjustable lifters you may need to shave a few thou off the new stem to match the old length. Lap in the new valve and button it up.

7. BUICKS38

BUICKS38

Thanks 286 merc. This is a great help.

8. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

I believe another way would be to use a mig welder are run a bead around the inside of the seat. This will shrink the seat and it will just about fall out. I have used this method on other pressed in items which would not cone out easily. (seal on transmission output.)

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Tootallrodder has probably the least destructive way to remove them. Any time a hammer and chisel is involved there is a chance of a misdirected blow and unwanted damage. By simply running a weld bead around the inside of the seat the resulting shrinkage will almost always allow the seat to fall out. If not it will be loose enough that just gentle persuasion will remove it.

Frank

10. BUICKS38

BUICKS38

Thanks you all. I have used the welding method at work before on bearings and it worked out great. thanks again guys. Jerry

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Take lots of pics and to a tech post.

Please.

12. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

jerry???? do a tech post???? BBBBBWWWWHHHHAAAAA!!!!!!! come on jay, man that's funny!!!! mike

13. NoSurf

NoSurf

Hey, I said "please".

14. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Never did the Mig trick, wasnt something that we had in the pits when I learned most of this shit; but it sounds like I need to give it a try sometime.

Since a MIG is not in very many backyard rodders inventory the hammer and chisel still works fine. But as I said, be careful where you hit AND wear eye protection.