Register now to get rid of these ads!

help... hilborn car pics and info needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29hotrod55kustom, Aug 10, 2008.

1. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

so, i have decided to do a lakes car very similar to the old hilborn car. being so narrow questions have come up such as pedal configurations, seating and engine arrangement, and various motors the car had. thus far i have only found two pictures of the car, subsequently i believe i got both here on the hamb. SO, any one able to shed some light on this??? for those who dont know the hilborn car i will add the two pics i have...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Greezy

Greezy

First hot rod to top 150. July 1948. Injected flatty. Cant be of much help as the particulars of how the car was built.

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The car has been built a couple of times – if you count the rebuild after Hilborn's crash. There are a couple pics of the chassis sans body in Rodders Journal. (have no idea which issue)

If you're looking to build a narrow car, take a look at the sprint car Josh Shaw built for his dad. Good pics and they're all here on the HAMB. Josh's username is corngrower32. (I think)

4. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Yes, check out the Rodder's Journal issue about Stuart Hillborn. I think it was an issue from last year. And by the way, very nice idea. I love that little beetle-bug! Your car will be very neat.

5. xderelict is building one similar, lots of pics on the board.

6. Built by Jim Lattin as seen in 2005 GNRS, I shared my space with him. He said that most of the original has disappeared. THis is as large as I can do here but I can email a larger pic.

Attached Files:

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

From the CT News august 1948.............New camera, If someone wants to correct the light & direction please do so.

Attached Files:

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A similarly sized 1930s "big" car.

Attached Files:

9. Here's a photo of the first Stu Hilborn injector and a rendering of the car....hope it helps.

Attached Files:

10. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

thanks every one, definitely helping! still pondering gas, brake, and clutch pedal placement and assembly..

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Pretty hard to stuff all that into a narrow space and make it convienent to use. Most, upright, narrow, open wheel race cars use a rear mount remote brake m/c. A hyd. clutch could be set up the same, which would free up a lot of space.

Attached Files:

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thats one of the coolest cars ever built.. And could be built to be VERY comfortable, and FUN!

Good luck.

Here are some "Cockpit Pictures" that might help you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joshua Shaw...
    Shaw Hot rods.

13. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

I cleaned these up a bit with GraphicConverter. They're a bit better now that they're in black and white.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

Attached Files:

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

OK! What is the story on this project? Ranger aircraft engine? What is the chassis from, really like the taper to the rear horns. [​IMG]

15. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

holy hell that helps alot! i was looking through a tom medelly book today called "history of hot rodding part 2" and it had a lot of very good detailed pics of front suspension set ups and he shed a little light on how they would set it up on the severely narrowed frames.. essentially the used a tube axle (or at least most pics i saw from both pre and post war pics they were running what i would believe is a 37 tube axle) with mounts welded to it for parallel leafs. as for that last pic, it looks like a homemade from out of box tubing 37kid.

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Check it out in the Vintage Sprint car Picture thread on here... Page 5 and page 63.

Neat car.

JD

17. Here's a few more of the Jim Lattin recreation, also from GNRS...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...click on any of the pics to see more.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A streamlined nose cone for the drag link forward socket!! Incredible detail there!
    Looks like rear mechanical brakes with actuators extended to within the body. I assume pedal is the clutch, and there's a hand lever in there somewhere for the brake?

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What are those tires that are on the recreation? Are those true to the original?

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

If you click on one of the pics it will take you to a album of about 75 detailed pics. Appears that the round pedal is the cable operated brake and the clutch is above (?)

Attached Files:

21. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

those are phenominal!

22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Jim and crew did a phenominal job on that version, I kid with Jim all of the time that when he's done with it. I want it. It would just be fun to tool around the pits @ CHRR.Bonneville, Muroc or even El Mirage.

23. TraderJack

TraderJack

Take a look at stu's car. No front spring, no rear spring, in and out box, frame narrowed in rear to attach at differential,, frame depth shortened,.

When I saw it when it had injectors I don't think it was a 21 stud, had pictures of ithe injectors , but long gone.

Mighty rough ride I would say!

redos don't have nice curves of rear tail, but still attractive cars.

I think a Rufi redo would be just as interesting, and less common!

traderjack

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Rootie!@! You have NO IDEA how much showing that picture just helped me on a project at the shop! THANKS!

Hell Yeah..

JD

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

You're welcome, I guess, I just clicked a mouse, a certain Bill Warth, it seems, would be the one to thank. :cool:

Attached Files:

26. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Josh do a body like the hilborn car in fiberglass for the sprint car chassis :D :rolleyes:

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

"Just clicked a mouse"... Yeah, but you know us Race car drivers are not real bright!:D

Ron, My next body will be a copy of the Two seater "Four Wheel Drive" FWD Miller car. "The Last Great Miller"

Two were built, The main car was restored and here in Cincinati and is owned by Zakira's and is now in Europe (I think) BUT!! The second car, An exact duplicate has been found by a friend of mine here in Cincinnati as well, and is undergoing Restoration SOON!! Very Exciting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, Dont mean to Hi-jack..

Besides, check out this car on line.. "The miller FWD special" It might help you too.

Joshua Shaw

28. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

are we talking about the "stream liner" he built?? chevy 4 banger with an olds head and ford crank... the car they put "pants" on the rear tires/wheels to try and streamline to get more speed and ended up getting less? if so... i wish i could build something like THAT car..

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the detailed shots of Jim Lattins car! Never knew the car was unspring, or are there springs hidden in there somewere? Really like that rear brake streamlining.