Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help help help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flattie, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Flattie

Flattie
    from Germany

Please DONT worry that i ve posted my Problem on two places at this Board, i m mit sure which is the right one.

Hi from Germany, i need your help with a Special Problem i cant fix from here. My lifetime Dream was to own and buy a Rod in the USA and Drive down the Pacific coast Highway for Five weeks, from Seattle across Oregon to California, to Viva las Vegas to join the Show with my own car. So Long so good, the car bought 2016 in Seattle, 1938 chevy qp, 350/350 Weiand blower, the way i like it. A friend of Mine in Yakima puls the car into his Little Shop to fix some coolant Problems and change Some Parts for the 2500 Miles Road Trip. You See my Dream comes true, a German insurance Broker contact a USA insurance Company for the right ThirdParty liability, i am waiting for the policy. And now the nightmare begins. One Day before Christmas the US Company told the Broker in Germany ( netherlands too) that they DONT Insure non US citizens and mypolicy and the policys of 10-20 other European citizens are canceled. I cant believe that there is no way to Insure my Dream . Here arme some facts: both drivers are 52/54 years old, German Passport and ESTA to join theUSA. Clear international driver License, the car is Titeld in Washington with matching License plate.

WE DONT wanna burrie Our Dream and WE arme to old to wait to a Point in the far Future.
    Here are the companys i ve contact during the Last Week, all with a negativ Feedback:

Farmer, Geico, progressive, Mercury, Sunrise Group........

If anyone could help US with a new idea or direct help, please please please drop me a line
    You could contact me direct on my privat mailad Blue-merlin@web.de

Thx for Reading my comment
    Holger

2. i can't believe they won't insure non US citizens , there are many of them driving around

stillrunners likes this.
  3. 270ci

270ci

Yes, non US citizens do drive here, but if they're driving legally, they either have a US address to which their vehicle is registered or might be they're driving a rental and insuring through the rental/lease agency. The OP's situation is unique and I'm not sure there is a lot of call for what he's wanting to do, so US insurance companies probably don't want to mess with it. I don't think it's the fact that he's a non US citizen that is the issue. It's the fact that he's not a resident in the state where the vehicle is registered. Not sure how it could be registered in Washington in his name even, if he's not a resident there.
    Hopefully someone who's done it will chime in and provide a clue. I would think if he intends to bring the car into Germany afterwards, his insurance company in Germany could provide some short term coverage, but I really have no idea on how the jurisdiction thing works or what the OP intends to do with the car after Viva.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  4. Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Try Haggerty. They insured my 31, as a non US citizen. However, I reside in the US and the car is registered in my name at my US address. Geico will ensure non-US citizens (my runabout is insured with Geico), but not modified / collector vehicles.

Maybe have your friend register and insure the car then add you to the insurance?

6. desotot

desotot

My brotherinlaw got a job in the states, and insures his vehicle there even though he is a Canadian. Probably what you need to do when you get here is to secure an address and then get your insurance. Perhaps the seller could help you with this.

7. evintho

evintho

8. There are millions here without insurances and passports. Just be like them and don't worry about it once you get back to Germany.:D

Try and call the big rental car company's and see if they will insure you guys from Germany. If they say yes then ask them who they use. Maybe you can go around the rental company. It might take alittle investigating, but I'm sure someone here can insure you. Hell there's Hollywood stars that have their fat ass's insured. Like Kim lardassenn;)

pat59 likes this.
  9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

There are a bunch of non-US competitors on Hot Rod's Drag Week. They must be getting insurance somehow.

You could try American National (www.anpac.com) to see what they say.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. I know we have some people right here on the board that wright ins. Try putting up a new post with something like "Non Residence Insurance help needed" Maybe you can attract someone that can actually steer you to the right place.
    The Wizzard

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geiko...Those a-wholes cancelled me after 4 years of no problems...Ex wife had some issue, reflected on me. So it's no surprise that America's 'Chief Advertising Agency' was one of your problems.
    But there are others...I suggest you call one of the 'affordable' companies advertised as such.
    There are numerous small companies willing to write a contract that works.
    My '55 F100 is my daily driver. Insured like a regular 'car'. Unusual, as the mainstream insurers wouldn't touch it! ("You can only insure it to and from shows, and special rod run parade days")
    Hah! Reliant Insurance, California. Complete, with towing. Great deal. AFFORDABLE.

12. funny....my OT was broadsided by a little Dodge Neon at a merge on the highway by a out of country licenced German driver wife of a US serviceman and it was titled/plated in Germany with no inspection sticker and Geico still paid them off......gezzz

13. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. hayu

hayu

Try GRUNDY belive the could help or tell you how to get it dun.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spoke to several buddies in the insurance game. No help locally my friend. Sorry

17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Are you by chance military? If so, and if you have auto insurance as a German National, you should be able to get an insurance rider to your coverage to drive on U.S. soil. As a civilian, you might be able to get a rider for the same.

Have you contacted your Consulate?

18. XtechX

XtechX
    from Edmore, MI

Give Hagerty classic car insurance. It's based out of travers city, Michigan. May they would understand enough to be able to help you out.
    Good luck, sounds like a nice plan!
    Roy (XtechX)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Flattie

Flattie
    from Germany

Thx a Lot for your reply. It s incredible how many guys send a Feedback for a German guy like me and i am happy to Tell you that Haggerty really does the Job one month ago, using the US adress of my friend. The Dream Lives on, 18 days to go. My Special Thx to all car Nut guys here and their awesome Support.

David Gersic likes this.