Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help!! Generator Wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zeddman, Feb 27, 2012.

1. zeddman

zeddman
    from Orange, CA

Fellow H.A.M.Bers I need some hotrod knowledge!

My situation:

I have a 401 Nailhead. I am removing the alternator and going with a 12volt generator/regulator combo. I only run the motor and the headlights but installed a headlight relay to power the headlights straight from the battery. No radio, power windows, dome light, etc...

What I think i know:
    I have to polorize the generator
    Generator "A" post wire runs to "A" terminal on regulator.
    Generator "F" post wire runs to "F" terminal on regulator.
    Generator "G" post wire runs to a ground.

My questions: :confused:

1. Do I run the wire from my starter to the regulator BATT terminal??

2. Where do I put the wire from the ignition that use to go to my alternator? To the BATT terminal on the regulator?

Thanks for your help!

2. richie rebel

richie rebel

you got it,except don't run the wire from the starter to the regulator, run the wire from the ignition to the batt terminal on the reg

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

What you suggest is right the Bat terminal can go to the battery cable at the starter if the solenoid is on the starter. The wire from the ignition is not used generators are self energizing. I would not run the generator out put through the ignition switch.

4. zeddman

zeddman
    from Orange, CA

Yes the solenoid is on the starter. I'll try running a wire from the solenoid on the starter to the BATT regulator terminal. Then, cut the wire from the ignition. Hopefully it works. Thanks!

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

6. richie rebel

richie rebel

don't no about that,i tired wiring from the starter,when you turn the key off the motor kept running,wired to the ignition and it did the deal.just my 2 cents

7. zeddman

zeddman
    from Orange, CA

Looks like I have two options on this one. Seems there is only 1 way to find out and try them both. Thanks for the diagram and everyone's input. Much appreciated!