Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help! Ford flathead Electrical problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnale, Aug 6, 2015.

1. johnale

johnale
    from Melbourne

Hi All,

I Suck at auto electrical problems and need some help/advice!

i think i may have a voltage drop issue!

I have a radio installed in my glove box in my 40 ford which has a usb cable attached to it, i'm having problems with getting it to work.

When the engine is off and just the ignition is on everything works as it should at a constant voltage.
    As soon'as i start the engine and run it it drops in and out.

I am running a 59a flathead converted to 12 volt with a crab distributor and pertonix ignition module, but this issue happen's with points also. I am running an internally regulated alternator and have also tried another alternator.
    I have checked earths, as well as all connection and they are fine.

I have the power wire connected to the back of the stock 40 ford ignition and have tried running a relay as well as with out. This has worked in the past and been fine, but since i changed the distributor it has not worked properly.

Any help would be most appreciated as this is doing my head in.

Thanks
    John

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ground? I might clip a voltmeter on the feed wire to the radio and monitor voltage.

BTW, did your engine run any better with the Pertronix? Considering one for my crab.

3. johnale

johnale
    from Melbourne

I've checked the grounds and they seemed alright, I'm tipping if I had a bad ground it wouldn't work even with the engine off.

Petronix has been good, haven't had any issues with it at all.