Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Help for Shop Classes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffB2, Apr 23, 2019.

1. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Great! Sure hope it attracts students into the "hands on" tech fields

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  3. Lord knows that we “in the field” need all the help we can get. It’s almost impossible to find decent mechanics any more. The high schools look down their noses at any kid that wants to earn their living by working with their hands. Thank God that not everyone is cut out to be a doctor or lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

F&J, Sky Six and loudbang like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

The same people who decided that every kid should get a "participation trophy" decided that every kid needed to go to a liberal arts college. So they got rid of all the shop classes in high school. They didn't figure out that no one would then know how to fix their car, their sink, fridge, their wiring etc. Or build their sustainable community. Go figure.:eek:

Jim Bouchard, jimgoetz, F&J and 3 others like this.

5. Our EFV8 club is looking at this for a tech high school here.

loudbang and 41rodderz like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Kudos to you and your club. Making an investment will always pay a dividend .

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I got that same email today. First person I thought about was @anthony myrick .

anthony myrick likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-4-24_5-14-50.png upload_2019-4-24_5-15-11.png

Hello,
    We have all read about @anthony myrick and his HS Auto program. Great guns and keep on with that program! In South Orange County, there is one school that is trying to keep the "Auto Shop" spirit alive. The San Clemente High School Automotive Academy is the last remaining "Auto Shop" in the area. The shops are falling by the wayside all over California. But, this is not a current issue. It has been going on for years, with the emphasis on going to college and the college prep classes in the forefront.

Once in the four big high schools in this district, each school had a great Auto Shop and the projects were fun for all of the students. Now, the district has incorporated 4 into 1 and called it an Academy, allowing other schools' students transferring to the last remaining "Auto Shop."

So, give it a whirl and visit the program and facilities. The students go on to other things later on and maybe they will be working on your different hot rods and cars.

Jnaki

These auto shop and metal shop classes were some of the "best of times" back in those turbulent teenage years. Drop by and see what is offered and how you can support a great program.

"The San Clemente Automotive Technology Partnership Academy is one of over 300 California Partnership Academies. The ATPA is funded and operates in accordance with the requirements of Education Code 54690-54697. The California Academy model grew out of the Philadelphia Academies that began in the 1960s, and spread to California in the early 1980s."

"The ATPA, which was the first CUSD state-funded academy, began in 1998. It incorporates many of the recommendations of the high school reform movement including creating a close family-like atmosphere, integrating academic and career-technical education, and establishing viable business partnerships. Academies throughout the nation and the state have been evaluated extensively and have been found to have positive impacts on students’ school performance."

"The Automotive Technology Partnership Academy is a three-year program, in grades 10-12, structured as a school-within-a-school incorporating:

• Curriculum focused on automotives as a career theme, coordinated with academic classes;
    • A voluntary student selection process that identifies interested ninth graders;
    • A team of teachers and staff who work together to plan and implement the program;
    • An extensive list of active business partners who provide financial, technical, and advisory support;
    • A variety of motivational activities including parental support, a well-developed reward structure, guest speakers, field trips, a mentor program, work experience, and regular monitoring of progress with feedback to students."

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Sky Six and i.rant like this.
  9. We are starting to see some of our local high schools trying to get shop programs up and running again. We have worked with them However we can to help, from tours of our shop to advice to donating some of our old training aids. It’s good to see this happening. We do lots of trades camps for high school students where we spend a few hours doing something hands on so they can experience a little of what we do.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. The best help for a tech school anyone can do is this.
    Inform local school board how you feel about them
    Talk to your local state rep
    Most of these folks have no clue

Fordors and jimgoetz like this.
  11. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My High School USED to have an auto shop. Couldn't take it until you were a junior. Used to pass it every day on the way to metal shop; had a full frame and everything in there. The year I was eligible, they did away with the class. One of the few times I was excited and wanted to learn, and they pulled it. It was replaced with a wood shop. Not sure it ever made a comeback; that was more than a few years ago...