Register now to get rid of these ads!

help flathead question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by o2bdone, May 27, 2009.

1. I was driving my car on sat and while driving it just turned off.It started right back up but then drove a couple of miles and did the same thing.I just cant figure it out.It does not stutter then turn off it just turns off but it always turns back on right away. I have all new wires threw the car it is a 12v and new electronic distributor new wires,plugs,coil,battery, i cant figure it out.I really want to drive it come on guys lets hear what you think

thanks

2. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Check your ground.
    Does everything shut off? Lights,air conditioner,hair dryer:D.

3. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Did you check all the fuel system points? Does it have a stock fuel pump? sometimes the stock fuel pump pushrod wears and it's running out of gas. Do you have another ignition you can try?

4. eveything shuts off

5. stock fuel pump no i dont have an extra ignition but my dad might ill try to get a hold of one

6. if everything is shutting off it is most likely electrical. Check your ground wire and maybe install a second ground from the engine to the frame.

7. xix32

xix32

"new electronic distributor"? that's just how my late model vw acted. went on for a year like that. could never trouble shoot it, because it wouldn't stay disabled, would always restart on the side of the road before the battery went dead. finally it stopped running long enough for me to determine it was the pick up module in the distributor. carry a stock points distributor with you so you can make it back home some day when it quits.
    i didn't think it could be that, because it was intermittent. i also thought i just had to be a bad wire connection someplace.

8. thanks guys will do

9. If everything Shuts Off than its Not the Pick-up Coil in the Dist
    it would be a Bad Ground!
    Run some More Grounds like 50 Ford 63 said
    Just my 3 cents