Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help Flathead guys

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Vegas_Cleaver, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

I just picked up this 8ba from a street rod guy when I got it home I pulled the heads and was presented with 2 cracks one going from the cylinder to the Intake valve. And another bigger one from the cylinder to the exhaust and it even cracked the valve seat. Are these fixable or did I purchase a new coffee table? Thanks and I know I should have pulled the heads before buying it.

2. belair

belair

I think you need to decide where to put the new table. But I am not a flathead guru.

3. metalman

metalman

Sounds like the block is junk. Check the crank, if it's a Merc at least there is some value there.

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Don't give up yet. Those aren't the "kiss of death" cracks like panrail or webbing cracks.
    Those cracks may very well be fixable, if the entire length of the crack can be reached for drilling and pinning. The valve seat crack can be fixed by counterboring for new oversize valve seats.

5. Consider drilling and pinning, along with new valve seats and sleeves for the cylinders.

6. pdq67

pdq67

You mean ta say that a quart of "waterglass" won't take care of this??

He, He!!

Just trying to lighten his bad news..

pdq67

7. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

There are just too many cracks in your 8BA block to make this block suitable for a rebuild. Sure the cracks can be pinned and sleeves used in the cylinders but at what cost? I think you would be much better off looking for another 8BA block rather than trying to fix a cracked block. Flatheads cost money to rebuild and I believe you should start your rebuild with the best block you can find.

8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Those cracks ARE the kiss of death. Don't ever even think about using it.
    Drilling and pinning NEVER lasts on anything beyond a stock engine.
    NEVER

Travis T likes this.
  9. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

Thanks for the input. Hard lesson learned on my part.

10. 97

It depends on your end goal! If it's for a drag car , just bore it to max, sleeve it , put new hard seats in and grout the block... and run it on alky . it can't leak if there is no water in it.

11. Generally,cracks from the bore into the valve seat are considered junk.Having owned and sold probably 30 flatmotors,when I see one similar to what you are describing,I step away.However,I have heard and read of some people who try to save the blocks,but don't really know how successful they are.Personally,I would look for another block. image.jpg

12. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I agree set the block aside. You may have a bunch of good parts for your next one. Gary

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Get rid of the block. Now, I have the typical crack in between the water jacket hole and bolt hole. Although, all cracks are bad, my type of crack is not the kiss of death. Just some airplane goop on the bolt, torque it to get it close to what it is supposed to be and allow it to set up and no leaks. Does not affect the motor in anyway. No over heating, no spewing of coolant and no loss of compression.

Good luck on finding a block that is usable. They are out there and be sure to pull both heads before purchasing an old used block.

Travis T likes this.
  14. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Cracks in flathead Ford V8's are so common that Henry gave them part numbers! I'm getting ready to pull the heads on mine today - suspect bad head gaskets - losing coolant. I hope it's just the gaskets.

Flathead Dave and LOU WELLS like this.
  15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I forgot all about Henry Ford numbering the cracks. (JK)

16. FlatheadDave,what is this airplane "goop" you apply to the block(for cracks I presume) and how well does it work? I have a very obvious and visible crack thar runs in the water jackets only about six inches long and runs vertically only in the center of the block. I definitely thought about welding,but was wondering about the airplane "goop"?

17. I have just picked up my Flattie from the engine reconditioners. Sent away a crack free block and got it back with 2 cracks. Wonderful what a bath and a dip will find :(. My builder has left the cracks as they are, simply boring out the head stud holes and fitting helicoils, problem fixed. the cracks in mine are between the water passage holes and the head stud hole in each case.