Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help finding a bolt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dreddybear, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Sorry guys but I'm pretty frustrated. I need a few 2" long 7/16 - 20 fine thread bolts that are fully threaded. Grade 8 or higher. Everywhere seems to have them but not threaded all the way. Any leads?

Gracias!

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Can you have one threaded all the way DB?

Oh... and everyone will suggest McMaster-Carr!! :D

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't think I have ever seen any that fit that description. Generally, anything longer than inch or inch and a half has a shoulder, except in lower grade bolts with course threads.

Don

4. dr dodge

dr dodge
    from tomball tx

grade 8 all thread at fastenal
    only seen carrage bolts 2" long with threads all the way, and they are grade crap

dr

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

McMaster doesnt have em. :(

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

9. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I agree w/ dr dodge all thread rod should be easy to find

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I can't have a nut on both ends. One has to have a head..:) Theyre all over the place in bulk. Surprised they're not more popular!

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Just out of curiousity, what are you using this bolt for ? Sounds like some special application.

Don

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have buick drums with 40 ford hubs on the outside. The hubs are threaded and the wheel studs (which are just bolts) pass through the drum, thread through the hub and then become the stud for the wheels. I have 1.5" bolts on there now and with them cranked down they sit just barely flush with the lug nuts. I have a need to run 1/4" spacers and there's no way. 2" bolts will give me the 1/4" I need plus a little more..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Oh. Are you sure those aren't 1/2 inch bolts ? We have the same setup and the bolts are 1/2 inchers.

Don

14. rlowrod

rlowrod
    from Corona Ca

all thread and nuts, just weld them on, grind off the excess.

15. wayne-o

wayne-o

Almost all cap screws are threaded twice the diameter plus 1/2". You are not going to find 7/16-20 all thread rod in grade 8, can in 4140HT. $3.75 is pretty reasonable considering they are holding your wheels on I would think.

16. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

the torsion bar adjusting bolts on some of my old sprint cars were 7/16 fine grade 8 about 2-2 1/2 long,threaded all the way down.check with speedway motors or another place that supplys sprint car parts.are you sure you dont need 1/2"/

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You might also check with Moser axles, they carry them in 3 inch threaded all the way because they use them on their race axles. If you are running hubcaps the extra inch will be hidden, or you could chop off what you don't need with a hacksaw. Just thought they might be cheaper from them.

Don

18. Dreddy,
    Do you have a fastenol there?

When I need drive studs for a threaded flange I usually have to use an allen bolt. Probably not what you are after but they seem to be the easiest to find fully threaded.

Anyway fastenol is a good place to look. They may have an online store or if they don't I would be willing to call them here if you don't have one near you.

19. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

Have you tried the racing supply stores to see if they have wheels studs that size and length?

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thats because its a set screw you need :D set screws are threaded all the way whereas bolts have a shank.

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I called Moser for you, he says they only carry 1/2 inch. I forgot about what Benno said, allen heads are available like that and you can get grade 8's too. Just a little dab of Locktite red on just the portion that threads into the hub and you should be good to go.

Don

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

All thread or studding as we in england know it is very low quality, it has no place on a car in my opinion.

23. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Are you sure you need "grade 8 or higher"?
    I get that sometimes we get an idea that keeps us going down the same dead end street but I just want to mention that I've had my share of fun with these drums and have never used anything other than standard ungraded hardware. And my 5000lb+ Electra still goes down the road every day with stock studs.
    I think you might consider making this a little easier on yourself.
    -Steve

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

25. Langy...on this side of the pond a "set screw" is a headless screw.

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I called a few places, like Fastenal and Specialty Fasteners, and no one carries them. I think you just need to bite the bullet and spend the $40 to buy the 10 you need from that place you found them at. Sometimes that is just the easiest way to solve a problem, rather than running around all over the place.

Those ones you pictured even have the bullet end on them which will make getting lug nuts on easier.

Don

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, but he thinks a hood is a bonnet too. :D:D

Don