Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help. F1 box bearing race removal.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tank, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Tank

Tank

Tore apart my F1 box today for a rebuild/modify. AV8 project.... Whats the trick to getting the upper bearing race out? I can't figure it out. Thanks.

2. Weld a washer in a couple places into the race. The welding causes the race to shrink, then you can just pull the race right out. This trick always works to remove the wheel bearing race out of a rear end housing.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

It's been a while since I had one apart, but I think there is a small notch you can get a punch behind. It's usually packed with old hard grease.

4. Tank

Tank

I'll check for the notch. Hope its there... If not, Don't think that bearing is too worn out. Maybe I will leave it alone...

5. no! don't reuse the old bearing. you can carefully heat the area around the race then hit the race with some ice. i have a dremel with flexable attachment to cut races out. using the reinforced cut off wheels work great. thing is having lots of patience so you don't damage the box as they ain't growing on trees!

6. 4ever18

4ever18

ThunderbirdESQ is correct... You can get a drift punch into a notch and get it started moving. Once you get it started, it'll drive out easily. Getting it started can be a little difficult. No sweat.

7. I haven't rebuilt this type of steering box, but, have welded on the race on bearings and bushings for successful removal many times. Just run a bead all the way around without welding it to the component!