Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help decoding Muncie Trans Numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57wagon, Jan 27, 2006.

1. 57wagon

57wagon

Anyone got a way to tell what this is?? Year?? M21 M22 ??

These are all the numbers I got off the side of the case

GM14
    A51

26GM

I'll have to look again tonight, but I think it was more along the lines of a Saginaw[​IMG]

Muncie being the first,,, Saginaw the second, and Borg Werner being the third....

2. Trt this link -

http://www.5speeds.com/muncie2.htm

3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Going by the numbers, it doesn't seem like it's a Muncie, could it be a Saginaw.

4. squirrel

squirrel

case material, shape of the side cover, grooves on the input shaft, and input shaft spline count are much more usefull than casting numbers when it comes to IDing a trans....

5. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Sooo....which one of the 3 pics looks like your side cover?
    Like Squirrel said,how many if any rings on input shaft?
    Does it have coarse or fine input splines?
    Does it have coarse or fine output splines?

6. Also - if the input shaft has ever been replaced it won't have rings - so that is not a dead sure way to tell. My tranny is like that.

If it isn't aluminum, it isn't a munice

7. 57wagon

57wagon

Definatley looks more like the middle picture ( saginaw ) input shaft on the front is coars,, ouput shaft on the back is fine.

Still a decent trans?

Just curious,, should have done a bit more reasarch before I bought it,, guy on racingjunk.com said it was a muncie,,,, oops,,, my mistake...... I got the trans, linkage, and bellhousing for $500

8. Yes - do a search on here - there have been several threads where people have shared experience with the saginaw. If it works as is and don't have to rebuild it I would say you got a fair deal. Hell even if you did have to do a little work on it. You couldn't go to a store an buy that for 500 tomorrow if you wanted to.

9. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

its already being said, but the Muncie is aluminum, and the m22 had straight cut gears in it. if you remove the side cover.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Saginaw has all 3 shift levers on the side cover, the Muncie and T10 have reverse on the tailhousing. Pretty easy to tell them apart that way.

Nowadays a complete good working Saginaw setup with bell and shifter for $500 is reasonable....at least I can't find any better deals where I live.