Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help De-Coding an Older Chevy VIN.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr.chevrolet, Mar 12, 2017.

1. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

got this tag in a box of stuff, tried to use the internet to de-code it, but all I got said I needed a 17 digit VIN. anyone know what this is? 2EK-L 62814. I also found this old Dash Plaque. Thanks in advance, mike

Attached Files:

2. This is all I have for you....compliments of Moose

The GM car number was nailed to the passenger side floor or seat frame not screwed.
    The Fisher body build plate was attached to the cowl and showed the body build sequence and other information as described below. Some states will agree to use the body sequence number on the cowl plate , others want to use the GM car number on the floor/seat frame and some will use the engine serial number. I have my 32 Chevy registered in Connecticut with the body build sequence number from the cowl tag. You might want to contact your Local DMV to see what the requirements are in your state. Below is a more detailed description of the various changes relative to the year of build.

Early Chevrolet cars & trucks used Car Number Plates to identify where the vehicle was made, which month it was made, show the series and the number of the vehicle as it came off the assembly line. Most early wood-bodied models had this plate nailed into the seat frame or the floor on the passenger side. For this reason, they are often missing. The plates changed each year until 1934. Model names "Superior K," "Superior V," "Capitol," "National," "International," "Universal," "Independence," "Confederate" and "Eagle" were used prior to 1934. From mid-1933 thru 1936 "Master" & "Standard" were used. Starting in 1937, the plates had "Master" & "Deluxe Master". From 1933-1938 most trucks used the Master Car Number plate.
    The Car Number or Model Identification Plate shows the factory of manufacture, series designation (i.e.: BA = 1932 passenger cars), the month of manufacture (1932 and later models) and the car number. Using this example number, I will break down the code: 6BA 03 14173.
    In this example the first number or numbers indicates the factory where the vehicle was manufactured. Referring to the table below, the number "6" indicates that the factory where this vehicle was manufactured was Oakland, California.
    The letters "BA" indicate that this was a 1932 series passenger vehicle and the model was called "Confederate". The second table lists the 1925 to 1939 series and model designations that were used on all passenger cars and most trucks:
    Plants of Manufacture

• Flint, Michigan
    • Tarrytown, New York
    • St. Louis, Missouri
    • Kansas City, Missouri
    • Oakland, California
    • Atlanta, Georgia
    • Norwood, Ohio
    • Buffalo, New York
    • Baltimore, Maryland
    • Van Nuys, California
    • Janesville, Wisconsin

YEAR SERIES MODEL
    1925 V Superior
    1926 K Superior
    1927 AA Capitol
    1928 AB National
    1929 AC International
    1930 AD Universal
    1931 AE Independence
    1932 BA Confederate
    1933 CA Eagle
    1933-36 Car & Truck Master
    1933-36 Std Car Standard
    1937-39 Car & Truck Master
    1937-39 Deluxe Car Deluxe Master
    The numbers "03" indicates the month that the vehicle was manufactured - March of 1932. If the number was "11", that would indicate that the vehicle was manufactured in November of 1931. This part of the serial number was not used until the 1932 production (model year), therefore, 1931 and earlier models will not have these two numbers.
    The number "14173" (model series unit number) indicates that this is the 13,173rd vehicle to come off the Oakland assembly line in 1932. (Note that the numbering started at 1,001).
    In 1932, there were two different Car Number Plates used. All 1932 models had a 2-digit month of manufacture added to the number. Early production vehicles used "Car Number" on the plate, just like the 1931 models. Later production models used a new plate that had a longer field for the number. In order to make room for the longer number, the words "Car Number" were shortened to "Car No". From 1932 and later "Car No." was used.

Example Plates

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The Fisher body tag that is mounted on the cowl
    Contains the Job Number, Body Number, Trim Number and Paint Number.)
    Note: GM of Canada included the car serial number on this tag. US Cars did not.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

On old Chevs, the vin # on the title was the engine #.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Vin # not used until 1954

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

6. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet