Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP........chevy 283 wont start.........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RED DEVIL #1878, Jul 19, 2012.

1. robber

robber

All of the advice given here is right on the money. These 283 motors are so simple that I call them 8 spark plugs and a fan belt. When one doesn't start, there are only a couple of things that can be wrong. Either you are not getting gas or you are not getting spark. If you are getting spark and gas and it won't start, then your timing is clear out of wack for what ever reason.

2. when i set it , it was set on the #1 cylinder and when it was cranked the rotor looked to be 180 off, i am using a digital timing gun and it said 180...

3. yuuuuuupppppppp,ROBBER you are right, timing seems to really be out of wack......

4. slightly wet is good, and if you have spark then we have to straighten out the timing. remove all the spark plugs, disconnect wire to distributor, have someone crank it with you finger over #1 [driver side front] line up the timing mark when you feel and hear the compression, clean all the plugs reinstall, connect wire. try it

5. flatford39

flatford39

Your distributor is off a gear or more. This happenned to me on a 283 and had the exact same symptons. You need to find TDC on #1 and pull the distributor and get it so the rotor is looking at # 1 on the cap. These can be a little touchy because of wear etc. I doubt if you were 180 out originally as the engine would never start and you said it started. you need to start from the beginning and it will fire.

6. Master of None

Master of None

Good news is it did backfire correct? If so, you have spark. My guess is your a tooth off on your timing. Get it straitened out and you'll have it.

7. thanks fellas i will try everthing you guys have just said and i will keep you posted, i really appreciate it, i can only imagine how annoying this question can be, especially if it is a simple fix, i will keep you posted.....

8. budd

budd

you should post some pictures, how did you go about finding TDC for number one cylinder?

you said "all it does is crank but wont turn over"

cranking is turning over!

9. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Read this carefully several times then read it some more. Print it, take it with you to the car and follow it, you will have successfully gotten your engine running.

10. hey BUDD you are right,the engine cranking is turning over, what i mean to say is that it does not run.... just cranks..........

11. budd

budd

lets see some pic's of your 283

12. I've read this whole thread ,and all the info is correct and basic..
    283's are good little motors ,as long as they have fuel,spark,and compression,should run..

I'd check everything again,and again.
    I just drove mine over a 1,000 miles this past weekend hauling a race car in 95 degree temps...never missed a beat ,and I would guess I haven't changed the plugs in 4 years !!

Keep trying,you'll figure it out.

Rick
    ------------------------------------------------------------

13. well fellow hotrodders, all is well in the world of hot rods, thanks to the expertise of rouye56wingnut and all the members that offered there knowledge my car is up and running , i still need to adjust the timing but at least the car starts,thank you.........

14. tiltonb

tiltonb
    from Colorado

I was having the same problem. Did you put new plugs in? That was my problem, fouled plugs.

15. Grab the front harmonic balancer and wiggle it right and left. You should be able to feel when the slack is taken up between the crank and valve train. I would suspect a worn out loose timing chain & gears. Many 283's came with a nylon cam gear that would wear out pretty quick.

16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Guys

/>
    look at the date on the thread.Dear lord i hope he has it fixed by now!!!!!!
    I see one of you is new member ,Always check date, it will save you some embarrassment/grief !!
    I was guilty of the same thing.............