Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help. Can someone ID these QC side bells....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grumpy32, Dec 13, 2017.

1. grumpy32

grumpy32
    from Australia

Guru's... I have a 301 QC that came with side bells that I believe are magnesium. But that is all I know about them. They are 11 bolt, they fit the centre.... I just would like to ID them, just for my own interest.
    I ran a pic past Frames but unfortunately he can not give them a name... There is a pair of the same for sale on the forum. So there are at least two pair in the world.. o_O
    So hopefully one of the old timers on here can shed some light on their origin.
    See the pics below.... oh and thanks for looking... :)

Glenn...

IMG_0036.JPG 20171201_081225 - Copy.jpg

2. If they are steel, they are the Timken split in 3/4 ton. Ford and Studebaker used them '39 -'52. The aftermarket Aluminum and Magnesium bells are base off these. Q.Cs. use two left sides.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Any number number of Quick Change companies made Aluminum and Magnesium sidebells to bolt to their center sections.

-Frankland
    -Halibrand
    -C.A.E.
    -Winters

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. WTF really

WTF really

This one is a Marmon Herrington 20171125_143154.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Like Mr. Palmer said, those pics are from the 3/4 ton rears we use to use for our stock cars back in the 60's. They had different gear combo's and were really cheap.

Robert J. Palmer likes this.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I believe all the aftermarket bells had adjusted for the carrier bearing offset required. If you use the Timken cast iron bells, one side will require a spacer.

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  6. Yes, a brass rubbing block.

7. Don't forget Heavy!

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Grumpy,
    I'm sure you wouldn't have said that you thought they were magnesium if they were iron. You would know the difference :)

I think they may be Frankland. That comes from a similar set I saw years ago that the owner claimed were Frankland. But, I am not at all sure of that. The ribs are different than typical Frankland, Winters etc. Levy Jones made a lot of variations and was a magnesium fanatic. They don't look like anything I've ever seen from Halibrand.

A couple more pictures would be helpful. I'd like to know if there are 4 pairs of ribs or only 3. Also, an inside shot of them would be nice. As Big Duece said, there may be a spacer for the right side. Some manufacturers made only deep (left side) and used the spacer to keep from having to have a separate mold for the right side.
    If there is an adjustment shoe or load bolt, that would be another clue.

The lower shaft seal plate in the first picture is different too.

9. grumpy32

grumpy32
    from Australia

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Gearhead I am aware that the real early QCs used the left side truck bell (and the difference between the iron and a magnesium one ).
    I have the diff sitting in the chassis at the moment, unfortunately I do not have any pics of the inside of the housings. There is no fitting for a wear block although there are two small threaded holes, 1/4 unc, on the inside of each bell. Oh and there are 8 ribs, and one "inspection" hole in each. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can get some inside pics of the housing as we are setting the body up at present and I am working a little slow at the moment. Thanks for all the input, it is much appreciated.
    Glenn...

Sent from my SM-G920I using The H.A.M.B. mobile app