Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help - camshaft ID from number

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kscarguy, Jul 20, 2012.

1. kscarguy

kscarguy

I pulled a new looking camshaft from my 400 SBC. It has a number stamped in the end: 869340. There are some other numbers between the lobes: C8 CWC 1578 and some others I can barely read.

Can anyone help me ID this cam? Thanks.

2. it is most likely a stock camshaft. The better cam companies are real proud of their camshafts and put their name in the end journal.

3. CWC makes the raw castings for the various cam core companies, such as Camshaft Machine Company or Engine Power Components. Then they sell the cores to Comp Cams, Lunati, Isky, Crower, etc. So CWC could be anyone's cam with any specs from a factory replacement to a performance grind.

4. kscarguy

kscarguy

I think someone replaced the cam as I discovered a double roller chain on the motor and the cam looks brand new. Also, there is paint on the raw casting at each end of the cam. If it is a stock cam then this old 1973 motor is super duper clean.

5. kscarguy

kscarguy

Maybe I will just throw the cam into a 350 motor I have setting around. It sounded good when I heard the 400 motor run. I'm guessing it is a stock replacement or a low RPM torque cam since the motor cam out of a rock crawler. Dang, with my luck, it is probably the exact same cam I just put back into the motor...HA!

Can I reuse the lifters I removed from the 400, in the 350? I kept them in order.

6. I have a '58 283 cam shaft that is wore slap out in the garage that i use for a cam bushing ream, it still has paint on it.

I would not expect it to be a performance cam shaft. maybe get someone who has a melling book ( like the NAPA store) and have them look up the numbers if they are stamped numbers.

Small block camshafts are too cheap to not replace it if you are after a performance cam shaft. I try to never run an unkown camshaft if I want to make one go fast.