Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help, Byng/Forsberg 1947 Timing Tag Info Needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinisterSpeed, Apr 5, 2010.

1. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

Hey guys, well I don't post on here too often (in the garage working on my roadster) but I ran across a couple of timing tags that a guy was selling down at the LA Fathers day roadster show for a killer deal last summer. I asked the guy if he knew this Byng Forsberg guy, and all he said is that he is still around the Bay area and that he gave these to him. With me being into the history of the dry lakes, I know quite a lot of names, numbers, and cars, however, not this one. I thought it was also really cool that the tag was from HARPERS in '47, knowing that there was only two meets held there after the war due to the military base. I ran into Helmet with his Calori roadster and looked at his scan (the one pictured) and sure enough good ol Jack ran the same meet, day, and class, but went quite a bit faster than Byng hahaha. Please let me know any info on this man/men? who owned this roadster, pics, or even if he is still alive/contact info if possible. That would be killer to find out what this roadster looked like and what ever happened to it! Thanks!!!! :)

[​IMG]

Helmet's Jack Calori tag list scan, same class, day, and meet as mine, third one down on the left..

[​IMG]

2. Google is awesome

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060803/NEWS01/608030339

I'll look thru some books and see if I can find a pic of his roadster

3. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

WHAT!!!! Amazing, I posted this not even a 1/2 hour ago and come to find out he is a ping pong champ!!!! I was actually relying on you JimmyB because of your knowledge of dry lakes history too. Man, I have all the books and stuff, and even looked in the background of ALL the pictures and still never came across anything. Thanks man, I really appreciate it! Keep em comin, I can't sleep now I'm wide awake! PM sent to ya :)

4. No worries!

what number is it? 38_ ? the last number is illegible.

5. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

Yeah it was really hard to get a good pic...I don't have the tag in front of me right now, but I think it was #388. On the other Flyers board Gaters told me this when he looked it up in his SCTA program, and this is all that I know...

I have a the July 6, 1947 SCTA Timing Trials Book.

Here's what it reads for El Mirage.
    No. - 388
    Club - Mobilers
    Entry - Byng Forsberg
    Class/Type - C-R
    Engine - Merc
    Head - Edel
    Manifold - Edel
    Cam - Winfield

6. decavy

decavy
    from ohio

I met Byng Forsberg in 2001 playing table tennis in Northern California. At 83, he's still playing in National Seniors table tennis events several times per year. He's a good friend and the nicest guy I know. I expect he would be happy to answer your questions. Please provide me your contact info and I will forward it to him.

7. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Send your qusetion to Jim Miller, AHRF. Every time I go to his house he has stuff spread all over in his search to accumulate as mush history as possibel. This should be an easy one.

Jim Miller
    [email protected]

DW

8. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

Awesome, I have some good leads onto getting ahold of Byng, so hopefully they will all come through and I can contact him. Anyone know what year roadster he ran, 26-7, 28-9, 30-1, 32, 34?? I hope he had a 28-29, for I finally just picked up a really nice body last week that would make for a perfect canidate to re-create!:)

9. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

Man, word spreads mighty quick around here..Byng has been located and I got his phone number, and the person I talked to said that they would scan and send me his old pictures when he gathers them up too, sweet! Now I can finally put a face and a car to this piece of history. I will post the pictures when I recieve them on this too for your enjoyment. In the meantime, please let me know of any other information on him or other car's that he may have run, thanks guys!!!!!