Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! Broke down in Tucumcari NM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TiredIronGRB, Apr 2, 2012.

1. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

We need a radiator for our '63 Mercury Monterey, we're headed to VLV from east Tennessee. We're at the Blue Swallow motel, any leads would be greatly appreciated. [email protected] or post here.

2. Sorry, wish I could help.....here's a bump to the top!

3. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I've got access to a 62 Monterey, and I BELIEVE the radiator is still in it. I dunno what salvage yard price would be on something like that, and I've got no way to test it, and I'm in NC. If you wanna take a chance, I'll go pull it tomorrow morning and can overnight it to wherever you are. That's the best I can offer! Wish I could do more!

4. Is there no radiator shops near by? HRP

5. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Thanks, but I'm hoping to find something a little closer.

6. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Understood. Good luck! Let me know if I can help.

7. big creep

big creep

Radiator Shop
    1506 Mountain Rd
    Tucumcari, NM 88401

Phone: (575) 461-1603
    i found this i hope it helps?

8. big creep

big creep

1st old street. complete auto is your best bet. the radiator shop is closed out of biz. i called the guy he said try the auto repair. clovis is going to be the only place that has a radiator shop, but the guy at the old texaco may bandaid it to get you there? good luck!

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I can't help much but am wondering why you're in Tucumcari, New Mexico, if coming from Tennessee...isn't that a long way south to get to Vegas...???

R-

10. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

We're doing a lot of Route 66, and really 40 is pretty much a straight shot for us.

11. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Why cant some one break down in Upstare NY???????

12. 150J/F

150J/F

There is (or was) a rod shop in Santa Rosa, NM. Think it was called "Bozo's". It's
    about 50 miles west of Tucumcari on I-40. He would probably know where everything
    else is that would get you going.
    MB

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't be afraid to go to a big rig garage if your radiator has a crack or whatever, those guys will be able to help as well. I've been through Tucumcari several times and I recall seeing a big rig shop on the east side of town as you are coming in on I-40.

14. Bump, lets get them going again. Power of the HAMB. Wish I
    I could be of help.

15. rld14

rld14

How bad is it? I hate to suggest a shitty repair, but maybe can ya JB weld it, leave the cap loose and limp it to a radiator shop?

16. well crap your on the wrong side of NM, if you can make it to az i can hopefully hook ya up with someone who should have one that will work, why not just go to a local auto parts store with a tape measure, they should have something that will work...

17. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

When my 63 galaxie radiator went it split at the seam which JB weld would be a hard fix.. Best bet is to get to a big rig shop..

18. Jb weld on a clean spot/leak.....then dump in a bottle of coarse black pepper, works miracles till a real repair can be done

19. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

What no HAMB members in NM ? He needs help, I sure hope someone comes through for him.

20. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heck, I'm in the northwest, the opposite side of the state.
    A-1 Salvage in Roswell has lots of old cars and may have a radiator, you might try them, 575-622-2489. As mentioned, Bozo's Garage in Santa Rosa might be able to help, 575-472-3368. A little farther west in Moriarty is Lewis Antique Auto and Toy Museum, 505-832-6131. Archie is a pretty good mechanic and he might know of a radiator or be able to help.
    Amarillo is also not all that far to the east, there is a reasonable chance you can find a radiator there, hopefully somebody there could help.
    And if you think the radiator is repairable, JB Radiator in Albuquerque, 505-344-1458, has worked miracles on some of my old stuff, they may also have a core. And if you can get it to them if no one else will I'd be happy to come down and run it back to you when they are finished. PM me your phone if there is any other way I could help.

21. dmw56

dmw56

I've put the call out to several CC in ABQ and a bunch of car buddies of mine.

22. dmw56

dmw56

George has already called me and I told him about Bozzo's, Archie doesn't sell anything! JB Radiator is the best! If someone has a radiator in the area I can deliver it to him tomorrow afternoon. If someone has a lead in ABQ call me 505-400-8856.

23. dmw56

dmw56

24. Willy301

Willy301

I cannot help other than to give you a bump...

25. bump.
    Later,
    Dick

26. Bumpity-bump

27. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

pepper will work if the seam isnt split, or an egg, just take the cap off crack and drop an egg in. try it you will be surprised, and It will get you down the road, if the leak is small about a tablespoon of pepper will work also, I would try it before i set too long looking for a radiator. and there is a old car salvage on the east end of town, that will prolly have something that will work , cant remember the name . Its on the right side of the lil road you go down, the yard on the left is newer stuff.

28. metalman

metalman

Just saw this post. Anything I can do let me know. Worst case I could head over with my trailer and get them back here to Albuquerque where we could get it fixed for sure.

29. david_s914

david_s914

I am about an hour south of Vega, Tx which puts me about 2 1/2 hours away from Tucumcari. I dont know what I can do from here,but here is a free bump to keep it at the top !!