Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Help...Background history on a Custom for our book??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bone Daddy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

We have this early built custom that was owned by Doug Hall for many years. Does anybody know who built this fine custom piece and any history on it...? We'll quote you in our book too! It is a '36 Ford cabriolet w/ a '40 front. We know it is in a few books but want to find out more. Thanks, Joe 607-798-6995

Attached Files:

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Do you have any more (bigger) pics you could post?

3. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

I'll get some more shots.

Attached Files:

4. R&C RON

R&C RON

I took this photo at the K.K.O.A. Sled scene West in Madera California , Aug 1986. I always thought it was a cool early style Custom!
    [​IMG]

5. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

The workmanship is amazing and the lines of the car and over all proportion are perfect in my eyes. It is old and so much work was done to it that it had to be noticed around the time it was constructed and where ever it was built. Who ever built it deserves a ton of credit. For now it is a mystery. Thanks for your help and nice picture.

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Beautiful early custom....more pics if anyone has any ! I would love to see the back end!

7. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

I have a photo of it from Paso in about '93, but I don't have a scanner. I'll see if I can figure that out.

You probably know that it was in Pat Ganahl's book on lost hot rods, right? That's where I saw it and learned that Hall apparently sold it to a collection back east. I want to say Pennsylvania, but I'm not sure.

At any rate, it's an early body--'36, roughly, Ford--with a later front cap. But then, you probably know that too.

And those flipper caps are for 16-inch wheels.

That's about all I got.

Be interested to hear what Rikster thinks about this. Rik?

8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I know I saw an old photo of that in a book or somewhere a long time ago or at leaset it was a 36 with 40 front,,, Witch I don't how many people did that back then.. but I remeber thinking how cool that was.. it might of been in black primer in the photo if I remeber right..

Sorry not much help.. Ill look through some of my books..

Man that thing is really bitchen tho..

9. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Whats that Hot Rod next to it?

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Wasn't that a Valley Custom car? I seem to remember something about it in Gahnal's article in Rodder's Journal a couple of years back. Not 100% though...

11. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

For some reason, I think it's in one of the Don Montgomery books. Might try that. This is an old car; Hall didn't built it.

12. Rikster

Rikster

The photo below is probably the photo you are thinking about... and it might be the same car I don't know... I have never studied this car so far.

I'm just back from vacation, and will see if I can find something about about this car as soon as I have some time.

[​IMG]

The photo comes from the "Hot Rods as they were" book from Don Montgomery. This particular photo comes from the Dr. Bob Atol collection.
    Unfortunately the photo caption does not give any information on the builder or the owner of the car

Here is a photo of a similar - most likely the same as the one in the photo above - car from the Spring 1963 issue of Popular Customs magazine...
    This magazine also does not give any info on the cars owner or builder.

[​IMG]

Chip took these photo in the 1990's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  13. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Hey Piero and Rik, it is me Joe with the book your in. It sure does have the same chop as the Popular customs magazine. I did read the Lost Hot Rods story but it didn't have much to go on. If I remember right Dr. Atol had a huge collection and commisioned alot of cars. I'll try and work down that lead as to who built it. Theo and Louvers thank for your help, I'm going to see if street rodder/Ganahl any more background. Somebody deserves credit for the amazing metal & lead work.I do know that Hall lowered the custom after he got it. As for the other car Piero it is in our book and from CA, any guesses...? One of the coolest hot rods ever built. The Ave_g_r