Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help and Advise - Looking for a good guage company outside of the normal go to companies.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I am to the point in my rewire that I am to the gauges. I realize that I could run out to Autometer, VDO, or whatever and get a set of run of the mill guages... Now, im about half broke after doing the rest of the work and I can't drop 4-500 on a set of gauges... I've been looking around and I've found a company that does gauges.. and they seem to be fairly reputable.. but im not familiar with them.
    Marshall gauges... or instruments. http://www.marshallinstruments.com/catalog/performance.cfm
    any of you know the company?

Another pain in my rear is the fact I have a late 60s mustang gas tank bewtween the rails of my truck and its 73-10 ohm - - I can't seem to find a whole lot out there for that. Equus, Stewart Warner, Speed Hut, and couple Autometers are all I've found so far.

I need 2 1/16 for the smaller and 3 3/8 for speedo--- the Equus gauge I have mounted is a 2 " and they don't come in 2 1/16 its a tad too small for the hole. See pic. It snugs up bit it kinda just barely fits.

and opinions on electric or cable driven speedo - - some vendors only have electric - - I have a ford c6 trans in the truck with a cable right now. not really sure how to proceed adding a VSS to the mix. or which to get or what gear to go with.

I would appreciate any advise you guys could share or leads on gauges that would work and not look like a street rod or a tuner car. Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

usually, that means "old".

I put new SW gauges in my 62 Chevy II, for oil pressure, coolant temp, and blower pressure. They were reasonable and seem to work ok and look almost like they're old, although they are far easier to read at night than gennie old SW gauges.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww-82322/overview/

for example. Although you might need to find an old speedometer....just because having a mechanical speedo is the thing to do.

3. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I was always raised that mechanical gauges of whatever type were more reliable than electric... however, I know electronics have come a ways in the last many years.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Is that whole dash billet aluminum?

5. 65fordguy

65fordguy

The bezel is factory, the insert is aluminum. Debating painting it black.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. jhtdon

jhtdon
    from Florida

I am Happy with the dolphin set in my 54 F-100 cab.

7. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

For God sake don't use Dolphin - see search.
    Classic Instruments are hand built in the USA and I think they sell "returns" and odd&ends at a good price. At least call them and ask. You won't regret it.

loudbang and kiwijeff like this.
  8. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I've looked at them, but from everything I can find, they don't make a fuel gauge in the right range. I've looked into a more "universal" mustang gas tank fuel sender.. but, no luck.

9. 65fordguy

65fordguy

well, theres a good thought... I'll do that. I'm not overly familiar with Dolphin .. but I've read a good many not so satisfactory post about them and Omega Gauges... I would probably use the Equus gauges if I just had to... they fit, barely, and they aren't bad... I used them in my last cluster with no issues.. they just aren't the best lookin.

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

How about Sunpro, cheaper gauge and some look pretty good. I don't like the look of Dolphins.

11. I had the Sunpro triple-set in my '79 Chevy wagon and it was good for the money. I now go with something from Summit and electrical gauges are fine with me.

12. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

13. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Nice, I gave them a call yesterday... the fella I spoke with was insisted I call back today and talk with his "engineer" ... so, I'll do that. We'll see.

In the mean time I did follow down the New Vintage lead given earlier.. and I've glanced their way before.. but was turned off originally perimeter lighting as opposed to back lit.. but, I've given it a second look and its not that bad really. Looking into these... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nvu-67508-01?seid=srese1&gclid=CL2exN6Mp8ACFSpp7Aod8SkAbA

[​IMG]

14. squirrel

squirrel

My only problem with gauges like that, is that they try so hard to look "old", that they end up looking modern.

15. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Yeah, lol.. but at least they aren't tuner car gauges.. which I see a lot of in classic cars trying to be resto mods/rods.

16. A lot of older big trucks had nice looking SW gauges in them - if you've got a truck wrecking yard near you might give them a look. - just make sure they're 12V, not 24.