Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! American Autowire Harness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasr57, May 24, 2012.

1. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

I am working on a car for a friend an I don't have any power to the harness. The harness was installed by the previous owner and very hacked.I have power on the starter end but am loosing voltage some where along the way to the fue panel and can't find where it is suppose to be entering the fuse panel so that I can start tracking this problem down.There is not even a main fuse in the panel.How do you build a fuse panel and not put in a main power fuse?Called American Autowire and they where no help at all saying the only info they had to give is what is on their web site.The wiring diagrams on their site are a joke for trouble shooting a problem.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Gasr57

2. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

What are you working on? Is it an OEM style harness?

3. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Just installed an EZ wire harness in a '56 Chevy. NOTHING EZ about it! But I had the same problem in the Acc. section of the panel. I am using the original key switch and it is marked; ign.1 and ign.2 and the rest. I didnot know that ign. 2 was a supply conection for the coil only during "start" so when I turned on the switch the accesories were dead. I sorted that out having seen similar problems before(lucky) But I say this to mabey help you see what can go wrong when wiring. Normal Norman

4. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

Thanks for the views. I got it fixed.

5. Start with assuming Red is + Pos & Black is Neg _ ground. What kind of vehicle are you working with ? & Is it Pos or Neg Ground ? Make sure your body & engine & battery are all 3 connected Dont use frame for for testing as it should be isolated. When getting into some one else s build use a long jumper wire for your test light & make a power jumper wire with a 10@ circuit breaker of fuse In your case 1 wire at a time