Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help a fellow HAMBER OUT!!! Welding done by shop!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Dickies, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Okay guys check out these professional welds. These came from a shop that someone paid good money to have their front clip done! The thing about it is this is the redone work! I won't name the clip, shop or vehicle. If the owner want to tell who what where I will let him. He came over my house to have me check out the "FIXED" truck. I got under and was in shock. I will call the clip a Mustang II not to give it away.

Looking up at the bottom of the frame. This is their plate for the front part where the they added the " mustang II" it's not a Mustang II but if I say what it was people might know the person who did the work. I will let the owner chime in if he wants to. As you can see they didn't even finish welding the plate all around. you can stick something into the hole nothing is under it. I think the welds speak for themselves.

The "Mustang II" clip was attached to a bent frame so to make up for it they welded 3/8 round rod to both sides to close the gap!

This is the boxing plate not welded 100%! looks like they forgot to finish welding?

Shock mount they didn't fit without re shaping them so they filled the gap with weld. The frame bent so now the shock when at ride height rubs the frame!

Boxing plate. Not completely welded and weld puddle wasn't hot enough.

Passenger side shock mount welds speak for themselves. Also not primed or painted.

The other side plate welds. Note that the 3/8 rod has more of the sides showing because the gap on this side is larger.

I went to the shop with the person and bust out my iPhone. I ask him if he has been under the vehicle. He says "No". I aked who did the welding because I have to show him what it looks like He said he did. Which confussed me. Either he was under it or not. Anyways. I start showing him the welds and asked if he would let his children ride in this " vehicle" did he feel it's safe. I have rode in it by the way. The frame is bent at least 3/4 of an inch. just by putting a tape measure on it and measuring things. and to the eye it looks real off to. Once I start showing him the pictures he gets in my face and starts saying he's going to kick my ass don't put down his work blah blah blah. You know the type. To be honest if I didn't just have stitches removed and could make a fist I would have fought him. The person and I step away from each other. The whole time he is yelling at me turns to the person says "he'll make it right but your friend can't talk shit about my work!" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? To be honest I have never seen such bad work. It makes the welds on my wife's car before we met look like Brian Bass did them. This shop is for the 3rd time going to "fix" this vehicle. SO MY QUESTION IS TO YOU GUYS WOULD YOU HAVE THEM WORK ON YOUR CAR OR TRUCK, WHAT WOULD YOU DO? WOULD YOU FEEL SAFE RIDING OR DRIVING THE VEHICLE? WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE WORK? WELDS? ECT

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. None of your pictures seem to have worked.

3. pictures no worky

4. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Links dont work. Hope this isn't Blake's Truck...

5. afaulk

afaulk

Uh, I cant acces your pics

6. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

7. Gerg

Gerg

man thats ugly!

8. Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  9. JD Miller

JD Miller

Damn, that sucks. That guy obviously cant weld and is a beginer, never took a welding class whats so ever

10. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

How do these guys keep taking people's money???!! I have been trying to stick metal together for about 18months or so, on my on stuff0-and not on anything structural. Makes my shitty welds look like Jesse James did them comparatively...Unreal.

11. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

It looks like it was welded with a lamp cord.

12. im gona go with a new shop...

13. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

DUDE!!!

I haven't welded in over twenty years, but am confident that I could beat that with an old Lincoln 225 arc welder.

As you have pointed out, it is much more than just the welds...

14. HamD

HamD

I've welded a small amount in my life.

But enough to know that's not good enough work for safe structural / chassis work. With the stuff you've pictured, there is too much question of whether he knows how to assure proper penetration.

And I'll step back and let the pros take it from here.

15. deeddude

deeddude

The guy who did that work will probably get a TV deal. I get so sick if seeing shops butcher cars up and do this type of work. That guy didn't even try to weld.

He got mad at you? I would let everyone know who this guy is, and then maybe the real professionals could make a decent living. Very poor craftsmanship.

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

This is like an anonymous hot tip. What's this 'mystery shop owner's' status, HAMB Alliance member or something?

17. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

When I showed him a weld where they missed the whole side of the bracket with a cold weld and it wasn't touching the shock bracket he turned to the person and said I will have the welds x-rayed if it will make you feel better.
    It's not my place to say the shop or who's vehicle it is. If you are getting air bags done in the Los Angeles area PM me I'll tell you whether or not if it's that shop.

18. smarg

smarg

I've read the story about this guys truck a couple times.

Sometimes paying a cheap shop rate gets your car ruined.

I highly doubt the fool or "fools" that welded that together have any certification. If they do they got it at kinko's..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  19. JD Miller

JD Miller

Looked at those pics again

My dog can weld beter than that.

That isnt even welding. That is a joke

20. HAHAHA who needs a xray you can already see through half of them already HAHAHA!!

21. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Would not pass the DMW here!
    Sorry but Stevie W would have done this better!

22. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

WOW!! I was doing better than that half an hour after I picked up a stick welder in my freshman year of highschool.

23. ryno

ryno

Fuck that
    If this someone is doing customer work,please by all means let us know so some else is not screwed also.

If this is blakes truck,I'd like to hear his story. I thought I read somewhere no limits was helping with it and he was happy. I could be wrong.

24. oj

oj

That is just priceless! The guy drove it to your house? thats what you said, right? Then he has what he deserves. He accepted the work and is driving it.
    The owner needs to share responsibility for this mess - he might be a great guy and a best pal - but when you comminssion work to be done it is your job to see it is done proper. That work (there has been similiar work shown on here as well) should never have left somebodies' shop, to drive with those welds is irresponsible.
    The shop that did the work should not get an oppertunity to correct that mess as it is obvious they are incompetant. They need to stand for the bill to have the work properly done in a competant shop.
    I have no sympathy here for the owner or the guy taht did the work, pathetic.

25. Go read my link...............the "fab" guy even posted on that thread.

26. brad chevy

brad chevy

At least post the name of the shop,doesn't matter what the guy that did the weldings name is if the shop lets crap like that out the door ,the whole operation is guilty.

27. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

wow, that is frightening. How many cars has this welder worked on that the owner didn't bother to check the finished work? One can only speculate.

As posted earlier, I could weld better than that the second day of "Farm Shop"

dj

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That does rather look like the welds on the pieces of scrap that first day AG shop welding students did. Or about the same skill level involved.

29. skyrodder

skyrodder

did he go to the cheapest "shop" he could find? you get what you pay for

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.