Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HELP:64 Max Wedge OWNER INFO NEEDED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hogpowr, Mar 20, 2014.

1. hogpowr

hogpowr
    from Milwaukee

I purchased a 64 dodge 330. I soon found out it is an original max wedge factory light weight car. I know.. lucky me. I'm still amazed I'm the guy who has a barn find.

I have no history on the car. Here is what I know. It was EE1 (dark blue) with L1B (light blue) interior. It came with a 4 speed and was shipped to Margana Motors in Chicagoland in January of 64.

I've heard rumors it was purchased by someone in the Madison, WI area. I have a friend "in government" he was able to confirm I am the first person to register the car. In other words it spent its entire life as a race car.

The front end was converted into a Tilt front end at some point and the rear wheel wells were cut out super stock style by someone, but I don't know when... I have owner information going back to around 1984.. but nothing prior.

If anyone remembers the car in the various midwest dragstrips or knows anyone who had a blue 64 max wedge with a 4 speed please let me know.

2. Some pics may or may not help, would like to see it just the same.

3. Hyfire

Hyfire

These are very well documented cars. It shouldn't be hard to track. I have a list of these cars, by VIN. You'll have plenty of resources.

4. hogpowr

hogpowr
    from Milwaukee

car has been authenticated by darrel davis and greg lane. last digits are 161606.. i dont have any old pictures of the car. the guy I bought it from,put a rather poor paint job on the car. so I could show that, but frankly, he painted it and parked it in his barn for 15 years.

Attached Files:

5. hogpowr

hogpowr
    from Milwaukee

the paint job you see here,is what the previous owner did. he "thought" it was a light weight car, but didn't know how to verify it. I have since stripped the car and found the previous owner (2 owners ago).. he confirmed he "thought" it was a light weight car too, but he owned it in the 80's and didn't know how to verify the car. he actually traded the car to a guy who did some house remodeling for him. He bought it without any drivetrain and it had the flip front end on it.

6. hogpowr

hogpowr
    from Milwaukee

fixing 40+ years of drag racing abuse. plan to bring it back to its original dark blue paint and light blue interior. would love to find something out about the car and who owned it....

Attached Files:

7. very very nice! subbed to this one and good luck on the history trace, keep posting updates.

8. hogpowr

hogpowr
    from Milwaukee

any ideas on other websites to try. Are there any nostalgia drag websites?

9. frank spittle

frank spittle

Your factory Max Wedge car was shipped Jan. 9th. Does it still have the fender tag? If it does I can tell you if it came as a factory lightweight. Without that unless you have the original window sticker or build sheet it can't be verified as a lightweight that I am aware of.

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

so, using a car for it's intended purpose is abuse ?

11. hogpowr

hogpowr
    from Milwaukee

Darrell Davis, runs the max-wedge registry. he was an executive at Chrysler. He IS the authority on these cars. With his help, you can contact Chrysler Historical. For $45 they will print off your production record. (its an old punch card). with the options. They confirmed it was a factory lightweight. Also, he knows which VIN numbers were lightweight and which were street wedges. Check out his books. Pretty amazing the info he has on these cars. No I don't have the fender tag. But the production record says all the same things as fender tag would.

Black 62 - I love that this car was drag raced. My reference to abuse was that like most drag cars, the modifications weren't done with the highest care for quality. cross members cut out with cutting torch. nothing ground clean.. nothing covered or repaired. It looks like the previous owners only had 2 tools. A cutting torch and pop rivets.. I love that this car has been a race car its whole life. I'm doing my best to keep that history alive. It will be raced again! :)

12. hogpowr

hogpowr
    from Milwaukee

Just a bump. hoping someone remembers a 64 dodge 2 door sedan racing around the midwest in the 60s. trying to find history of my car.

13. hogpowr

hogpowr
    from Milwaukee

the car would have had the wheel tubs cut our and there was red paint along the bottom 1/3 of the car. I don't have pictures of it in that form, but I know it had red along bottom.

14. hogpowr.....moparer to ya...good luck with the build !

15. hogpowr

hogpowr
    from Milwaukee

thanks for the well wishes. If anyone knows or has pics of 64 dodges around the midwest , let me know.

16. hogpowr

hogpowr
    from Milwaukee

one more bump.. still looking for history or ownership information on my 64 max wedge. anyone remember 64 dodge 330 max wedge somewhere in wisconsin?

17. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Dive into the numerous boards that feature threads on Mopars drag racing. Also, if you think and feel the car has been a mid-west car it's whole life there are plenty of websites catering to the abandoned and existing tracks it may have campaigned on. If it was delivered to a Chicago dealership, there's a good change it may have been brought to the Indy nats for 64. Go through the entry list and highlight all the 64 Dodge's that campaigned that day, than, one by one try and eliminate them through research. You may get lucky and get a hit early, or you could be searching for 5 years (like I have done).

patmanta likes this.
  18. Man how lucky can you get to find something like that in a barn! I'm soo jealous! I would restore it back to original as much as I could, with the obvious exception of the drivetrain since it's missing. Those are like the white whale for many a mopar enthusiast.

19. greybeard360

greybeard360

Does itl have the aluminum front end?

20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

MOPAR guys are fanatics about VIN decodes and restorations. Pick up a copy of MOPAR Collector's Guide if you aren't already familiar with it. Maybe write one of the staffers about it. They will probably put your car on the cover when you're done too! Also check over on Allpar.